FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-02-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Whats up with Crandon????

What ended happening with Crandon this weekend. I went there on Friday and they told me that Sat it was going to be closed. I called someone on Sat that told me that there were kites in Crandon so I drove there. When I got there some guys that work for the park told me not to setup because they were getting ready to kick everyone out so I left.

Did they ever close it??? People were talking about getting a lawyer to address the situation in Crandon with the park manager. Whats is happening with the part.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I spoke to the Park Manager today. He told me the following:

The park has been unusually crowded perhaps due to the high cost of gasoline. Remember there are almost 2,500,000 people within Miami-Dade County alone.

They tried to have kiteboarding along with normal bather traffic on Easter Weekend. Due to the substantial quantity of people and encroachment on the launching area it was a major management problem for the Park and Lifeguards.

He told me as a result, they have gone back to the procedure from years past, allowing registered kiteboarders with helmets that sign in to ride Monday through Friday and NOT on Saturday or Sunday until after Labor Day Weekend (September 3?). Many will recall that this policy was in force for several years (3?) until things were relaxed a while back.

Riders still need to register, sign in and wear helmets. A complete listing of the rules appears here

He also told me that Miami-Dade PD will be recovering kites and bags left of the beach by folks coming in by boat on weekends and taking them to the park office. Boats are required to stay at least 300 ft. off the beach.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-17-2006, 08:13 AM

Default kiteboarding ban?

Can anyone tell me if there are any towns or cities which completely prohibit kite-boarding?