FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for your input Lia, good points and response.

I've received yet more information about this recent incident. Apparently, the person first named in this thread wasn't riding inside the swim buoys this time. He was in the downwinder but per lifeguard observations stayed outside the buoys while two other riders were riding inside. So, had to do another edit. I would normally trash the entire thread but it is TOO important to do that.

The person named initially in this post has ridden inside the buoys in the past. Just not this time, hence people jumping to conclusions. No riding in and among swimmers, no jumping over people, it is simple to avoid most of the complaints. Get offshore and have fun away from people and complaints.

btw, something we didn't talk about on the phone, Neil, myself and a bunch of kiteboarders were dragged down to Ft. Lauderdale City Hall twice to try to fight a ban attempt caused by kiters riding too close to shore off North Ft. Lauderdale Beach. I was dragged into several more meetings in LBTS for the same reason at other times. Stay off these sensitive beach areas, beyond 100 yards. It is not ok to ride closer.

I've been getting lots of reports from a bunch of people, "not me, he did it, I used to do it but not anymore, there wasn't enough wind and dead onshore so I rode too close, I was shooting a how to ride light wind video, etc.".

This is total BS! Don't ride inside the swim area buoys under ANY circumstances.

We have been close to losing the ability to ride in Pompano, we've already lost access to most of the city due to idiotic riding and related complaints largely inside the buoys. It has to stop now.

Instead of a bunch of finger pointing, acting on grudges, how about everybody get on board with turning the practice around, for the benefit of all of us? No one is exempt and we'll all get slammed if the practice continues. If the wind is too close to east and you can't get out, simple don't kite there. We need to all be more careful to stay off the radar scope, taking special pains to avoid complaints.

Here's new requirement, if you post about sensitive access issues, often a volatile subject, you are required to use your full name to try to keep things on track. Also, if you have reported observations be prepared to properly support them. Loose allegations just cause confusion.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM

I am a local to Pompano as well and know of the minor problems that occur every now and then, I heard of this particular incident (inside the bouys by the pier) a few days back. Both of them (2) should know better, they are not new to the area, yet it didn't suprise me based on their riding style.
I also attended the latest meeting with the city regarding the issues at Pompano and have seen a drastic improvement of responsible riders with regards to launching and staying outside the swimzones.
It's not rocket science...just some common sense and courtesy to the other kiters and bystanders..

Mark