FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Central Florida Downwinder Race
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Well its blowing like crazy here (Cocoa Beach)! The wind still has a lot of North to it which will make it really gusty at Cherie Down on the beach. That is supposed to change over night though. If it is still gusty in the morning just do your best to get past the waves and it usually cleans up. The waves are huge! Just finished with some lessons at the 520 slick and had to fully depower my student on a 10 meter and he was still kinda overpowered. The beach was too gusty. I have some waterproof cell phone/MP3 cases for sale ($20) in the shop which I will bring to the start in the morning. The shop will open around 8:30 and I will probably take them to the beach around 9:15 or so. I only have like 4 left so first come first serve. Let me know if you need other last minute items. Looks like it going to be a good race!! Good luck to all the riders! 386-235-9804
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Awesome race...

What Can I Say....This was the BEST Day of My life...Who would say that this was not nothing but one Hell Of Day....I just want to THANK everyone that made it to this "First Ever" Central Florida Race for 2009...I want to again Thank Rick, for all the posting, Kent, Billy, Gebi, for showing everyone how to ride FAST downwind..And the Biggest Winner of them All, SEAN...Who would ever guess that all the Great ones would get their Butts Kicked by a One-legged Bandit...Sean, you are My HERO, in so many ways...I hope that there is going to be more posting about this Race, why would there not be...Hope to see pictures soon, also...Thanks Everyone from the bottom of My New Heart, for being here, this meant alot to Me.... BTW, Debbie you Rule also, being the only Woman Rider, and finishing this Incredible Race in under 4 1/2 hours..You put a lot of Men to shame, even Myself...
Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks AJ for pulling this together and to all the folks for coming down. Congratulations to everyone that competed! Your section of coast presents some new challenges to some of the riders in different conditions. Photos are in the cooker and will follow soon. I know some interesting stories came out of this race.

What do you remember?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Race Results

1st Place: Sean Reyngoudt...2 hours and 18 minutes
2nd Place: Billy Parker...2 hours and 19 minutes
3rd Place: Kent Marinkovic...2 hours and 21 minutes
4th Place: Gebi...1st over 40...2 hour and 22 minutes....

1st Place, and the Only Woman, and over 40...Debbie Jackson...4 hours and 26 minutes...You Rock Baby...My female Hero...

We had a total of 22 Riders...Total of 57 miles...

Here are rest of the places and times...

5th Place: Gram Goodwin...2 hours and 23 minutes
6th Place: Demian Thomas...2 hours and 26 minutes
7th Place: Andy Hurdman...2 hours and 28 minutes
8th Place: Josh Noe...2 hours and 38 minutes
9th Place: Bjorn Dinberg...3 hours and 13 minutes
10th Place: Jayson Orkins...3 hours and 26 minutes
11th Place: Bryan Schneider...3 hours and 30 minutes
12th Place: Doug Smith...3 hours and 54 minutes
13th Place: Craig Priddy...4 hours and 01 minutes
14th Place: Shaun Jackson...4 hours and 03 minutes
15th Place: 1st Place Woman...Debbie Jackson...4 hours and 26 minutes

DNF People:

Chris Levins
Carlos Curti
Jan Boersma
Allen Lindsey
Erick Lov
Chris Moore
Keith moore

and Yes, I did not make it either...Just could not get around the Inlet...

Thanks to all the people that help Me put this on...Shaun Frank, Patty Moore, Andy and his Family, and anyone that I forgot to mention....Thanks to Caribbean Court for letting Us have the Finish Line at their resort spot on the beach, in Vero Beach...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Great job guys (and Debbie). Here are some picture I shot.
http://danny31292.smugmug.com/gallery/7687789_xC5gc/1/496777121_apdXW

enjoy

Dan
Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Good job AJ! The event was fantastic. Although there weren't too many riders, I couldn't believe how competitive the group was. I think that the length of the race was perfect. It was a good mix of physical endurance and mental strength.

While others thought that it was more difficult that the Jupiter run, I thought that it was less challenging given the lack of inlets and piers that the Jupiter event has.

The nicest part was the open areas of beach even during spring break. It provided for some fast lines and interesting tactics. We need to do a few more of these things pronto.

I don't know if you noticed, but at the awards it was nice to see all of the riders that just wanted to finish. It is a personal accomplishment for most and offers a unique challenge for anyone.

My hat really goes off to Sean. This was one of the tightest races that I've ever been in. I remember ripping down the coast thinking that he had messed up by being in too close when coming to the inlet. I passed him for the first time just at this point, but then he passed me again just before the pier. I didn't think that he would make it around and then he just slipped by and the chase was on again. For the next 15 - 20 minutes we were really flying and I believe that we passed each other 1 -2 more times. It seemed that he as a bit faster in the really windy stuff while I pulled in on him in the moderate areas.

When we were racing for first, at times we were with in 15 feet of each other. I'd try to go over the top and miss and then try again underneath. I finally made the pass over the top and he got a bit too close to the beach and had to point for a while. I made a pretty good gain and was thinking that the race was over. I could just see the last pier, but Sean was still in shooting distance. I decided to push it pretty hard for a while in hopes of Sean looking back toward Billy instead of up toward me. The unfortunate part was the Sean is a total competitor and never looked back. I got caught by 1 wave very near the shore at it washed me up to the beach. I tried to get going too quickly and was breathing pretty hard. I got washed 3 times and then tried to stand up on the beach. By this point, Sean had already passed me and I was just trying to get out in front of Billy. I decided to give it a go, but my legs failed me! I couldn't even stand up, let alone think about riding. I remember thinking "how the heck have I been riding"? I really didn't think that I'd be able to even finish at this point, but the finish was only about another 6-7 miles. I gave it another shot just as Billy went flying by. Washed up again. After 3-4 times of trying to launch in the strong current and onshore wind, I finally made it out. By this point, Billy and Sean had a good lead. For a few minutes, I thought that I might be able to reel in Billy a bit, but fell another 4 times and decided that I had better stick with 3rd before it turned into a 4th or a 5th.

In all it was a killer ride and racing with Sean, Billy, Gebi (who I helped to dunk in the water just 5 seconds before the start), and Andy was awesome. If you haven't done one of these before, do the next one. You can make it what ever you want to. Go for the win or just accomplish a personal challenge. It's a great ride with a great group of people.

Sean, you are one tough SOB and this was a great win! You deserved it. See you next time.

Thanks AJ and everyone else that made this happen.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Kent,

I have come to realization that I suck when it comes to these distance races. I was behind Gebi when you guys tangled on the beach and I laughed. I thought two less people to worry about. Then 5 minutes later you guys blazed passed me. WTF!!! Am I dragging an anchor. I kept loosing my board, leg kept cramping up but I proceeded on. By the time I passed Patrick's you guys were specs on the horizon. At that point I said, I will at least conserve my energy and finish. Once I past PAFB, I hit the shoreline to makeup lost time and was cruising at a good clip. Then mother nature hit me with a few waves and lost my board on the shoreline and I walked up wind to get it. I was finally in a grove making decent time and then I had another wipe out. I got back to my board and started cruising again and noticed my inner bag to my camel pack had fallen out. So I grabbed it and held it in my teeth and rode for a mile until I saw some people that could assist me on putting it back in. I asked this lady if she could put my bladder back in and she saw the yellow Gatorade and she thought it was piss. After convincing her and her boyfriend what it was they helped me out. Then 10 miles later I saw a storm approaching coming in off the water and I was going to play it safe and put my kite down until it passed. I met up with Eric and Al, we held out until it cleared. We all left about the same time and within 30 minutes my camel pack came out again. I decided to just take it off rather than trying to find someone to help me out again. When we all arrived at the half way point we were greeted by some smiling faces. I was told that Keith and AJ couldn't make it around Sebastian Inlet. Since we were the last of the group of guys we decided to call it quits and get a ride to the finish. Keith's wife Patty grabbed us and picked up AJ and Keith down the road. Thanks Patty!!

This wasn't as bad as Jupiter but it's like comparing apples to oranges. We are able to ride 90% of the coastline and we don't have to worry about sea walls. The only thing that made it hard was the storm and the wind switching.

Sean, you're definitely a inspiration to all. But I think you have a big advantage over me. Your front calf muscle didn't cramp at all now did it.

Thanks AJ for hosting this event. Big props to you for putting this together in a short amount of time.

Great to see some old friends again and make some new ones.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM

I know where you are coming from Chris. My legs really got burned out too. After the race, Billy and I were discussing the fact that Sean probably had an unfair advantage... Unfortunately his unfair advantage had nothing to do with his leg, it was his Pit Bull fighting spirit!

I'm going to chew on some shoe leather and eat rocks to toughen up a bit before the next race.

In truth, I haven't kited more than 3-4 times in the last 3 + months. I was however doing some light squats just to keep my legs from shrinking away totally. In the end, my legs were bad, but if i had been running or doing some cardio it would have helped be get off the beach. I just couldn't recover fast enough. In hindsight it would have been better for me to hit the beach and wait for a solid minute or 2 before trying to launch again. I got nervous and tried too quick and it cost me even more time.

The funny part is after the race i kept hearing people saying the same thing... "boy you sure looked comfortable, i didn't think that i'd catch you". Sean said this to me, but I can honestly say that I was never comfortable. I also heard someone say the same about Andy, Billy, and Gebi. In the end, i guess that the grass is always greener, but nobody in this race was ever too relaxed. It sure was nice to hear both Gebi and Andy say that their legs were fried too!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 PM

it's cool to hear the stories...makes me wish I were there even more!!!

Sean, you are the man. You threw the heaviest mobes at ii09, and now everyone has proof you are fast as he!!

You inspire me...and many of us...the guys you beat are heavy...you rock.

Ride on buddy, ride on.

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Wink

Although i didn't finish it was an awesome experience to ride along so many good riders. I decided to play it safe when that ugly nasty grey cloud was getting closer. Thanks to AJ, Patty and Keith for your great hospitality. Congratulations to Sean, man! you are a true winner as well as to Debbie you are amazing,. we raced head-to-head like for an hour.

Until the next one!

Erick