FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-20-2006, 06:15 PM

Default An introduction and a question about solo / group kiting

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in kiteboarding for a few years, but never quite got around to trying it out, mostly because of financial reasons and other issues. I first got introduced to it a few years ago when I got to design the logo for Best (the flying fish, most of the text treatment isn't mine). It is still kindof surreal to see the logo all over the place so it only made me want to try this so much more. Well the wait is over, and I am not getting any younger, so weather permitting (which doesn't look too promising right now) I will have my first training lessons tomorrow (in Pompano Beach), and soon enough hope to be kiting as much as my schedule allows.

I have been trying to educate myself as much as possible on the sport, as well as all the safety, terms, equipment and all that as I can, but of course it is a bit empty and meaningless until I actually get my hands dirty with it. These forums so far have provided quite a bit of useful information, and I am sure I will be spending a lot of time here.

I wanted to know if most of you tend to ride solo or go in groups? I am assuming that as a beginner (and once I have enough instruction under my belt) I will be better off kiting with others and I was wondering if any groups tend to organize in the forums for kiting days?

Thanks again for all the information, and hope to see some of you out there sometime

-Alex "can't-wait-another-freaking-day-to-begin-kiteboarding" D.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: An introduction and a question about solo / group kiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by enhypnion
Hello everyone,

I have been interested in kiteboarding for a few years, but never quite got around to trying it out, mostly because of financial reasons and other issues. I first got introduced to it a few years ago when I got to design the logo for Best (the flying fish, most of the text treatment isn't mine). It is still kindof surreal to see the logo all over the place so it only made me want to try this so much more. Well the wait is over, and I am not getting any younger, so weather permitting (which doesn't look too promising right now) I will have my first training lessons tomorrow (in Pompano Beach), and soon enough hope to be kiting as much as my schedule allows.

I have been trying to educate myself as much as possible on the sport, as well as all the safety, terms, equipment and all that as I can, but of course it is a bit empty and meaningless until I actually get my hands dirty with it. These forums so far have provided quite a bit of useful information, and I am sure I will be spending a lot of time here.

I wanted to know if most of you tend to ride solo or go in groups? I am assuming that as a beginner (and once I have enough instruction under my belt) I will be better off kiting with others and I was wondering if any groups tend to organize in the forums for kiting days?

Thanks again for all the information, and hope to see some of you out there sometime

-Alex "can't-wait-another-freaking-day-to-begin-kiteboarding" D.
Good luck in your training Alex. Actually conditions look like they may improve for training. That is lighten up a bit and turn side onshore. I would avoid conditions above 18 kts. for sometime and onshore perhaps indefinitely. Lots of guys ride in onshore winds but the accident experience goes way up. New riders likely won't be able to work offshore through onshore winds and waves that well any way.

In SE Florida guys seem to hook up in pairs or three or four riders. In other parts of the state, this may be better organized than down here. Riding with someone that knows you and looks out for you as you look out for them is important. The guys in St. Pete use the forum extensively as do the folks in the Panhandle to a lesser degree. Down in the SE, not really. Still, if they feel like shooting the breeze about sessions, where to ride, etc. the forums are here. It is a great way to learn about conditions, forecast analysis, events, gear for sale, lots of stuff. Your instruction should have some ideas on hooking you up with other riders as well.

Good winds,

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM
ruffridah89

Like Rick stated,
I typically started with my father;nevertheless, I had some of my pals from the beach assist me in landing and launching as well. Whenever there is trouble, you may never know, someone can help you. When practicing, do practice self-rescue, trimming the kite, depowering(with a bow) and retrieving the board.(all this will be in the future) BUT, just keep in mind all these previously stated things, and you will be a proficient kiter in no time.
-Danny
Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks guys!

The lessons were great. The Pompano beach people were all very friendly and helpful. I didn't get to do anything on the water of course, but got lots of instruction, and some fun with a couple of trainer kites.

After all the time training I ended up sticking around quite a while, meeting people, driving them insane with questions and just watching others having fun out on the water. I also was learning how to help in launches, and helped in a few.

Great bunch of people and I can't wait to make it out there again for more training and practice and hopefully not too long from now, join everyone in the water.

-Alex