FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM

Default New and confused.

Hey yall im 17 and just thinking about getting into kiteboarding. I need some information on where to start.. Im shootin in the dark here ive never tryed kiteboarding just sumthin thats been on my mind alot latley and cant get it out so i figured the only solution is to get my own and give it a try. However i have no idea whatsoever what i need to get or how much i should plan on spending.. can someone please help me out with this? feel free to Aim,Pm, or e-mail me
Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: New and confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon
Hey yall im 17 and just thinking about getting into kiteboarding. I need some information on where to start.. Im shootin in the dark here ive never tryed kiteboarding just sumthin thats been on my mind alot latley and cant get it out so i figured the only solution is to get my own and give it a try. However i have no idea whatsoever what i need to get or how much i should plan on spending.. can someone please help me out with this? feel free to Aim,Pm, or e-mail me
Thanks
You are wise to start by asking intelligent questions as you are. Some guys just "do it" bringing potential negative consequences to themselves and our access. Where are you located?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Edmond Oklahoma near Lake Hefner im not sure if ur familiar with Hefner but its supost to be a pretty sick place to go from what i hear.. Also there are no stores close by or Forums for any where near Oklahoma i could find
Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Edmond Oklahoma near Lake Hefner im not sure if ur familiar with Hefner but its supost to be a pretty sick place to go from what i hear.. Also there are no stores close by or Forums for any where near Oklahoma i could find
No, I am not familar with riding in Oklahoma at all. I did find an article and video clip that you may know about already. Several local riders are mentioned. You might be able to get in touch with them by phone to try to hook up.

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4065216

If 40 mph winds are typical, this would make the lake a POOR place for learning kitesurfing. It is too much wind for safe getting up to speed particularly without good Pro instruction. You could try it but it would be fairly easy to severely damage your kite and/or yourself! Checkout some stories about just how wrong things can go and for very experienced riders, particularly if they set themselves up for misfortune (at here (have a look at the one from Utah, I suspect you have microbursts too) and here. Once you are on your game, which may take some time, it could be a blast however.

I know money and mobility aren't necessarily great at 17 yrs. Any chance of doing a road trip at some point to a wind destination, say San Padre Island or Corpus Christi for some pro instruction? It costs but you will learn so much more, easier, faster and safer. Guys have really messed themselves up trying to figure this sport out on their own. As a possible alternative you could read over much of what is written on this site, try to make friends with kiteboarders in your area, if you can find them and try to get them to help mentor you into the sport.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 PM

Actually S Padre is the destination of me and a few of my buddies next month for 18th b-day.. how much should i be expecting to spend to get a starter set? and is it worth my time/money to by one of those starter kites with an instructional video?(retailed at 144$)
Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Actually S Padre is the destination of me and a few of my buddies next month for 18th b-day.. how much should i be expecting to spend to get a starter set? and is it worth my time/money to by one of those starter kites with an instructional video?(retailed at 144$)
thats a good investment.

fly it till your bored, then get lessons by a certified instructor. like rickI said it's much safer, and faster.
You can't learn off of just a video, but it will help a little with getting familar to the sport.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:53 PM

Alright thanks alot ya'll i apprciate all the info. Send me a Pm if you can think of nething else you wish you would have known/considered before you bought your first set up or if you have ne other pointers
Old 03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Alright thanks alot ya'll i apprciate all the info. Send me a Pm if you can think of nething else you wish you would have known/considered before you bought your first set up or if you have ne other pointers
I would hold off considering buying any full sized kite gear until AFTER your instruction. You will have your own much better idea of what might suit you at that time. Be sure to describe conditions at your local launch as well as you can to your instructor (wind speed, typical gust range, open beach/bank area for launch and landing, etc.).

There is quite a bit of used gear out there with more on the way with the introduction of flat kites. I would take my time in deciding the first gear you choose to buy.

Be sure to interview your prospective instructors considering the ideas tossed out at the article link below:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1130

It's your time and money. Do your homework and choose well as all instructors are not equal.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi