FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up love beach monster swell

well the stars alligned and the swell made it through hole in the wall (Eluthera and abaco's )to generate some sick waves..30 odd feet at times.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...oid=2753376240
(might have to be a facebook member to see the pic.
the swell should be here for a few more days.
AJ

Last edited by ricki; 03-24-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yow 30 ft.! Where was the photo taken from off NP? How large would you guess the wave shown is? Did you do any towing in?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Thumbs up crazey man!

I was on a building site waiting for mark roby and stary to ride..to take some pics..I would of been oput with them but I was sick.
I saw some freaken crazey setts come in (evry mabe 10th wave ) there where sets of 3 that had to be bigger that 30 feet.yes wave hight is measured from the back of the wave not the front.
no one towed in that day.
mark has some shots of them surfing but the waves where mabe double over head the shots.
they where prity fast moving with quick barrels and a neck braking close out.
the pic was taken at love beach NP Nassau western side of the island about 5 mins away from the airport.
it's prity rare wave.
AJ
Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Those are some monster swells.

Do you think the swells were forming along the fringing reef where it joins with deep water? Have you towed in there before?

Where do you think the waves were coming from, the NW through the NW Providence Channel or through the NE Providence Channel? Was it from a strong cold front clocking through?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Cool atlantic swell making it's way in.

the swell is coming from the atlantic through "hole in the wall" in between abaco and Eluthera..
we tryed towing in last year..the waves are prity fast,not a place for novice tow in..
Mark moyle would no better on the info, I'll ask him to add to this post.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Talking

We had some of that monster swell as well here in Cabarete. Here are some pics out on kite beach. The military was out in full force to keep people out of the water, they even were confiscating gear from those who went out. It looks like another good swell is going to hit Thursday.

-Chris

Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Chris,

That is some big stuff running. Are they forming on the outside of the wave zone, say about 1200 ft. off Kitebeach? Would you have a higher res. version of DSC00935.JPG you could email to me (flkitesurfer at hotmail.com) ? I would love to put that one up in a larger form. Haven't seen waves that big off Cabarete before.

Are they forming on the outside of the white wave zone shown above? I recall that waves seemed to form and break over about a 300 to 400 section of bottom, with the larger ones on the outside.

Have fun down there. Can't believe they called the army out. They used to seize your gear if you were too far east in the windsurfing zone of Cabarete Bay.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey AJ,

Hole in the Wall is the southernmost point of Abaco, where the lighthouse is. Are you talking about the deepwater channel between Abacos and Eleuthera, NE Providence Channel? There must be something strong out in the Atlantic to be kicking up so many powerful, long period waves. They said they were 13 seconds in Cabarete and only 15 ft.. Any period guesses for your Love Beach swells? It is so rare for anything like that to make it to SE Florida, thanks to the Bahamas!

Did some checking apparently they were forecasting some major surf to come in from a powerful cold front that whooped the USA last week as it strengthened over the Atlantic.

Puerto Rico is in path of big storm
The Associated Press
March 20, 2008

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - An Atlantic storm could pummel Puerto Rico and other islands with waves as high as 30 feet today, forcing Holy Week vacationers to seek alternatives to the beach.

The storm spawned tornadoes and thunderstorms across the southern United States last weekend before gaining strength over the open water, said Israel Matos, director of the U.S. Caribbean territory's National Weather Service.

From: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5813131.story

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2008, 06:16 AM

Default big swell

Hi guys

AJ asked me to come by and answer some questions

swell window for Nassau is between south end of Abaco and North end of Eleuthera. Durring winter some of the big lows that spin off the US North East and backhand a swell down to us as they move off into the Atlantic

Last week a big low moved off US east coast and raced down to the South East (unusual) and gave us a big burst of swell right down the whole Bahama chain and on through DR and PR all the way to lesser Antilies I believe?

Waves here at their peak were around 10 to 12 feet. Tripple overhead on the face.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 AM

Rick,

When I get back I will email you some pics. The Internet here is really slow so I had to reduce the image a lot just to post them. I return this Saturday evening so you should see an email from me by Sunday night.

The waves were about 800 yards off kite beach. It was still pretty smooth inside the reef and as you made your way out the waves progressively got bigger and bigger.

I can't wait for tomorrow with another swell hitting.

-Chris