FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Rideable wind THREE DAYS in a row in July

So far here in Palm Beach county (south end) theres been 3days in a row of Kiteable wind 8) the 3rd~ 4th and 5th

I broke a board (Hana Crew nemesis II 120 x 42cm) Man did that suck

But Jeff Biege from BESTKITEBOARDING dialed me in with a 125x35 drive and kept me on the water. What a GR8 guy!

Sucks to miss a session in July due to failed equipment

Lets here how many ppl were able to get out and hit it!!

Maybe if these rain bands clear out this afternoon, the wind will come up again for that magical 4th day in a row :wink:
Old 07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Same story here, without the breakage of course. I've been able to get out the last three days as well with a new Contra 14 m. Last night I was wondering what was wrong, board speed was good, the kite was pulling like a tank but I wasn't able to boost as high as I thought I should. Checking the wind record it became clear with winds around 15 mph. The new kite delivers more grunt than I am used to still when it comes to escaping gravity and the surface by a longer distance you need more wind. The wind is SW and sideoff today. If the clouds clear some sideshore thermals might overcome the prevailing flow until sunset with rideable winds. Fingers crossed.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
If the clouds clear some sideshore thermals might overcome the prevailing flow until sunset with rideable winds.
Fingers crossed.
Contra 14M ~thumbs up~nice I haven't ridden one yet. But to be out on a 14m in 15mph with enough (well ya thought) power to boost is a great thing!
I've been swinging a 16m X4 around the last few days ~n~ IMO thats a small kite for normal summer patterns. Heck I'm super STOKED we had wind again tonight

That brings the tally up to 4 kitable days in a row here in South FL
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am glad you were able to grab that forth day, I had to miss it. The Contra 14 m has the pull of a larger C kite, like all bow kites. I am not quite sure how large an equivalent C kite might be, 16 or 17 m. I tried putting 10 m line extensions on it the first day I used it. They didn't seem to make much difference which is strange. It may have been just too light.

Here's another story about riding in real light conditions with it on July 4th. On that day I had headed down to the usual launch with reasonable side onshore winds but not particularly strong winds. In time the winds lulled and the eight guys that had been out beached. I wind waited for a while, the wind freshened slightly so I headed out. I decided to do a downwinder to my home town about 8 miles downwind. I had been dropped off so it was an easy decision to make. The wind was light, to where no one else was out for the entire downwinder as far as I could tell. Despite the light wind, I was traveling FAST and unlike other kites I have used when running dead downwind, I didn't have to aggressively sine the kite. I could actually lock it in most of the time which made things a lot easier. When I tried to head out on a reach at times, I found I really didn't have enough wind for it, it was that light. Anyway, I made the trip in short order. The Contra does have some unusual properties.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Big winds East coast weds?

Rick , Ive got a delivery job over in Boynton Beach tomorrow/Weds. forecasts saying 20-30 SE with 4' waves. Thinking about bringing my GK Sonic 11m. I want to try Jupiter inlet real bad.....any tips? I hope its not going to be stormy!

-Phil
Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Big winds East coast weds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan'sWings
Rick , Ive got a delivery job over in Boynton Beach tomorrow/Weds. forecasts saying 20-30 SE with 4' waves. Thinking about bringing my GK Sonic 11m.

There is south of the inlet itself but the beach there is guarded so I wouldn't try to launch on the public portion. HIGHFLYN rides up that way pretty often and could provide some more specific info.

*****NB- watch out for squalls, there is no shortage of violent storms these days. We had a gust spike to about 55 mph early this morning, another one hit about an hour ago with wind running up into the 40's. I would check color radar, on your cell phone if possible *****

Still radar image
http://www.news12now.com/weather_doppler_post.shtml

Radar loop
http://www.news12now.com/weather_dop...oop_post.shtml

Phil

It's definatly B-L-O-W-I-N-G out there right now, 18-21 knots with higher gusts.

As for launchable spots in Boynton beach on a SE to ESE wind. Hammock park which is just north of the Boynton Public beach, parking for Hammock Park is on the west side of A1A (walk across A1A and thru the "Hammock" to the beach. Has the best launch area with a WIDE beach. Personally on a SE to ESE I prefer Boynton Inlet on the North side, GR8 waves to enjoy and the wind is cut down a little due to the North jetty. There will be a bunch of surfers there today though ( I know I used to be one of them, Just give respect ) The beach is not a WIDE as Hammock. But still plenty of room to self launch and land there. Fisherman on the jetty should'nt be an issue since it's sorta a crappy day.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Rick , Ive got a delivery job over in Boynton Beach tomorrow/Weds. forecasts saying 20-30 SE with 4' waves. Thinking about bringing my GK Sonic 11m. I want to try Jupiter inlet real bad.....any tips? I hope its not going to be stormy!

-Phil
Hello Phil,

Delray might be the easiest and closet launch. You know the spot at the south end of the public beach about 1 mile south of Atlantic Avenue and just south of Casurina.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=seagat...03819&t=k&om=1

A bit further north is a park about 3/4 mile south of the Boynton Inlet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=seagat...03819&t=k&om=1

There is south of the inlet itself but the beach there is guarded so I wouldn't try to launch on the public portion. HIGHFLYN rides up that way pretty often and could provide some more specific info.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=seagat...07639&t=k&om=1

Regarding Jupiter, most of the guys launch about 1 mile to the north of the Juno Pier in Juno.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...03819&t=k&om=1

I am not sure what the story is with Jupiter Inlet as the south end has lifeguards. The north end covered up with expensive homes. I suspect you might have to walk in from a long way away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...15278&t=k&om=1

I am not quite sure what the waves will be doing with stronger SE winds. With stronger N to NE we can pickup some great swells at all the locations, particularly Boynton Inlet south of the channel. Let us know how it goes and have fun!

NB- watch out for squalls, there is no shortage of violent storms these days. We had a gust spike to about 55 mph early this morning, another one hit about an hour ago with wind running up into the 40's. I would check color radar, on your cell phone if possible,

Still radar image

Radar loop

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Quote:
Rick , Ive got a delivery job over in Boynton Beach tomorrow/Weds. forecasts saying 20-30 SE with 4' waves. Thinking about bringing my GK Sonic 11m.

*****NB- watch out for squalls, there is no shortage of violent storms these days. We had a gust spike to about 55 mph early this morning, another one hit about an hour ago with wind running up into the 40's. I would check color radar, on your cell phone if possible *****

Still radar image

Radar loop

Phil

It's definatly B-L-O-W-I-N-G out there right now, 18-21 knots with higher gusts.

As for launchable spots in Boynton beach on a SE to ESE wind. Hammock park which is just north of the Boynton Public beach, parking for Hammock Park is on the west side of A1A (walk across A1A and thru the "Hammock" to the beach. Has the best launch area with a WIDE beach. Personally on a SE to ESE I prefer Boynton Inlet on the North side, GR8 waves to enjoy and the wind is cut down a little due to the North jetty. There will be a bunch of surfers there today though ( I know I used to be one of them, Just give respect ) The beach is not a WIDE as Hammock. But still plenty of room to self launch and land there. Fisherman on the jetty should'nt be an issue since it's sorta a crappy day.
Got that right, it is 24 kts and climbing by the windomatic. Then again there are a bunch of "red snakes" crawling over the radar loop. The squalls "may" become more numerous as the day wears on. So, if you see a clear hole with a good margin, you might have a go. Even some of the less threatening looking clouds, lighter gray, etc. can toss out some dangerous gust spikes so have a care.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Rick,

How did I use your post in a quote before it was even posted ~ LOL
Ahhh the internet :roll:

Did you get my IM the other day??
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Rick,

How did I use your post in a quote before it was even posted ~ LOL
Ahhh the internet :roll:

Did you get my IM the other day??
Sometimes moderators, particularly this one, screw up!

Yes, I did. I was trying to make a couple of calls to zero in on prospects for you. I have yet to get a hold of the folks with the info. There is one in OBX on July 24 which is coming up pretty fast.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi