FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default I to I Race This Saturday!

For the ninth consecutive year they are running the I to I race this Saturday at around 9 am. It is a windsurfing race involving rounding channel markers at both Port Everglades and Hillsboro Inlet, finishing in South Beach Park in Ft. Lauderdale. That makes it about 18 miles plus all that tacking you may have to do.

This is an official race of the US Windsurfing Tour by the way. I understand a few kiters have joined in at times in the past. As it is an official race there probably wouldn't be a problem for kiters tagging along as long as they didn't interfere with the windsurfers racing. In any case both kiters and windsurfers need to stay beyond 100 yards of shore along ALL beaches with lifeguards. There is no fee for the race. It looks like there may even be wind for the race from the current forecast although the direction may be a challenge for easy coastwise kiting.

More at:

http://www.ronkern.com/i-to-i_2012_NOR.htm

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 AM

This is going to be fun! My friend and I are still looking for housing for the weekend if any fellow kiters can help. We have sleeping bags so all we need is floor space.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The long range forecast is looking up in terms of speed and direction. Hope it comes about.

Friday Through Sunday
East northeast winds 16 to 21 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas up to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Chance of showers.

It isn't quite a reach but it is better than beating nine miles up the coast against a NE wind.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Default It's Back!

The I to I is coming up again this weekend! If you have race gear or a foil board or are daring enough to try it on a surfboard or TT, come on out. The long range forecast is looking pretty good. Last year this race was a blast.

More info here http://www.i-to-i.org/
Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds good and thank you for running the event! The long range forecast looks favorable as you said.

"Friday Night: East southeast winds 11 to 16 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday Through Monday: East southeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. "

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...fl&zmx=1&zmy=1

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The race has been moved to Sunday, more at http://www.ronkern.com/i-to-i.htm

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is on again this weekend ...

"The i to i, (Inlet to Inlet Distance Race), is a windsurfing long distance ocean race, open to windsurfers and course racing kitesurfers, that runs from Fort Lauderdale's South Beach Park, around channel markers at Port Everglades Inlet and Hillsboro Inlet, and returns to South Beach Park. This will be the 12th year running this exciting event. There is no entry fee for the event to view or participate."

http://i-to-i.org/

"December 6 & 7, 2014

(A one day event. Practice & tuning on the non-race day either Saturday, the 6th or Sunday, the 7th.)

A US Windsurfing National Race Tour Event (NRT)

The race is in it's 12th year and the 9th year on the National Race Tour of US Windsurfing and is the start of the 2015 calendar.
The i to i, (Inlet to Inlet Distance Race), will take place in Fort Lauderdale on South Beach either Saturday, December 6th, or Sunday, December 7th. The day and race course will be determined according to the prevailing weather conditions, but the preferred course will be Fort Lauderdale Beach Park, (formerly named South Beach Park), to Port Everglades Inlet to the Hillsboro Inlet and back to South Beach Park. The non-race day will be practice and tuning and won't score towards the event and is optional. See News & Updates section for current status at http://i-to-i.org.

It's about 11.5 miles from inlet to inlet. Depending on the wind direction and strength it could take as little as an hour or quite a bit longer! The marks are far enough offshore that the race can and will be run if winds are offshore. As this is a bit of distance to cover and the possibility of breakdown, fatigue, or injury exists, combined with potential offshore winds, it is strongly encouraged that you carry a cell phone for emergency use. Any charged phone, even without an activated phone plan will be able to call 911 for help, but still needs to go in a cellphone bag so you can use it on the water. There are secure waterproof bags for carrying cell phones that allow their use in the water without damage to the phone from seawater entry. Please don't take chances with your safety! Procure a case for your phone and bring it with to the race as there will not be chase boats or anyone but yourself looking after you. With that said, the coast is pretty friendly up and back, and with the exception of most of Fort Lauderdale public beach and a small stretch of Pompano public beach, anywhere along the beach is a landing spot for a rest or adjustment if needed. A map of the shoreline will be handed out with some landmarks you'll see from the water and distances marked from the start. If winds are light, or if there is interest in a shorter course from all or part of the entrants, that will considered as well on the day of the race."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-02-2014 at 10:24 PM.