FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Hatteras, NC

Ok.. so my Oregon trip is postponed due to some scheduling problems. My friend and I still want to get away soon for a long weekend of kiting.. thinking Hatteras is a good destination location.. not sure though of the best travel route. Would like to pick a location where we can fly to a nearby major airport and rent a car for a few days. Hoping to find the best place with the nearest riding spot from the airport so as to get as much on-the-water time as possible. Ive never been to Hatteras, but it does look like its WAY outta the way from any major cities.

Any suggestions?

Texas maybe?? Thanks!
Anyone want to join in the trip?

-Bryan

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 05-14-2006, 11:53 AM

You would have to fly into Norfolk, VA and drive from there. It is a good ride from Norfolk but worth it. You will also have a hard time finding reasonably priced accomodations at this late point but maybe Alex Fox or Shawn Warmouth could help...
Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Outer Banks

Hey Guys:

I planned a last minute trip with the family to Duck, NC (north of Nag's Head)

I am going out three days early to just Kite. I fly out June 1st to Norfolk and plan on kiting June 2-4th. Kids and wife come in Sunday the 4th.

Tried to get into a Real Camp, but they filled out. Have private lesosn Friday and on my own Sat/Sun.

Love to have someone I know to kite with up there.

When are you guys going?

Shane
sgrundy@tampabay.rr.com
(813) 927-6652
Old 05-14-2006, 05:01 PM

I'm gonna be there between June 17th and June 25th. Sorry we couldn't be up there at the same time and get some riding in, but call Shawn Warmouth, he is working for Real this summer and will be up in Hatteras when you are in Duck. Duck is nice, my family used to stay there during our annual family reunion but our family outgrew the cottage there...
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM

I am going to be making 4-5 trips to Wilmington, NC over the next 7 months and hope to extend a few of the stays over the weekend or longer. I have never been to Hateras even though I lived near Chapel Hill for a few years. I have talked to a few people who have gone there, but would like to hear about where to kite. Is anywhere along the island good? Where do most go? I may camp if I cant find inexpensive room. Anyone camped there?
Thanks
Allan
Old 05-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Can't Re-member

Cape fear / wilmington is awesome kiting!

Hunter @ blowing in the wind will give you all the details you need
Old 05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
E-Bone

There is a KOA in Waves or Rodanthe (right across Highway 12 from Hatteras Island Surf and Sail and just north of the Real slider park). You can launch there and the SW wind is cleaner up that way. If you get all the way down to Buxton, where the original Real shop is, the SW is much gustier and you'll probably end up driving north to Avon anyhow. I'd angle for the KOA by Hatteras Island Surf and Sail.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Launches

Here is a list of basic launches

There are likely many more.

You can cross reference with Google Earth and check out the riding area and beach launch.

Shane

http://www.windvisions.com/Hatteras/..._launches.html
Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 PM

A great spot in OBX that is a little closer to what little civilization exists there is Nags Head.
Camping in Manteo is really cheap, $18/day, hot showers, RV hookups, etc, and there is a really nice marina nearby, Pirates Cove where you can charter a boat/capt, eat and drink.

Many options for riding around this area, Windmill Point, Rodanthe, Kitty Hawk, Jockeys Ridge.
Kitty Hawk Kites has a shop on the water soundside on the northside of Windmill Point, nice place to launch and ride. Chris Moore runs the shop, super cool and will be more than happy to give you the 411 regarding kiting in the area.

E
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 AM

how long is the drive to get up there?

Google says 19 hours..

I suspect 12 to 14..

Toby.. we might be up there same time as you..

thinking leaving on a Wednesday night ..either June 14th or the following week and staying until Sunday night...getting back in town Monday AM then right to work.. UGH...

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa