FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 AM

I'll be in Florida 8/27/2008-9/02/2008 hoping to ride in Lauderdale by the Sea area; however, I just found my hotel has no internet...

Anyone in the area want to clue me in on the forecasts for my stay? Rick?

Thanks.
Nick
Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Anyone in the area want to clue me in on the forecasts for my stay?

You may have dead calm winds OR you may have hurricane force winds....

Anything goes....

Most likely no winds but as you can see, there is a small chance of 75 mph winds as well
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Well, it is more than a week away, 10 days from today. I think the hurricane will be passed by then...

I don't mean clue me in to what it says now, I can check that, I mean during the time I'm down there.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Can't Re-member

Most likely 5-10 knts,

alotta times after these things pass it'll calm down , if it can calm down much more than 10 kts

it usually does not blow any wind in FL during august
Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
I'll be in Florida 8/27/2008-9/02/2008 hoping to ride in Lauderdale by the Sea area; however, I just found my hotel has no internet...

Anyone in the area want to clue me in on the forecasts for my stay? Rick?

Thanks.
Nick
Hello Nick,

Typical wind that time of year is light to no wind at all. This year has been different in some respects then again, I think it has been five weeks since I've had a kite up. Missed a few sessions in that time though.

We've had some unusual late/early season cold fronts, strong ones too in recent weeks. If one of these comes through while you are here with strong easterly winds you could be good to go. Regarding tropical activity, IF there is a system nearby that is generating easterly (N to E to S winds actually) AND there are few squalls or large clear holes between them, then again, you're good to go.

Sorry but it is too far off to say. Guys are getting excited about riding today. Here's what were looking at in terms of squalls currently:

Click - http://tinyurl.com/6hdm7l

You want to watchout for the more colorful stuff particularly the red cells. Although the green stuff can dangerously boost winds as well at times. That raft of squalls just passed over my location south of West Palm Beach. Doesn't look all that clear of squalls to me. btw, that northern red line of squalls was moving at 66 mph north or about a mile a minute. It could be on you within five to ten minutes of your seeing it, perhaps less. See a few spikes close to 40 mph on some of the wind stations up from wind in the low 20's. It could go a lot higher in some squalls, you never know.

Sorry to be so indefinite about the wx during your visit but that is about all I can say for now.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Hey Rick,
seeing the storm going to cruz up the western side then accross, does Naples/Sanibel area get waves?, going to be hammering offshore there till it passes. Just wondering., J-
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John- View Post
Hey Rick,
seeing the storm going to cruz up the western side then accross, does Naples/Sanibel area get waves?, going to be hammering offshore there till it passes. Just wondering., J-
Hey John,

I was wondering if their models were all screwed up at 5:30 am this morning as it looked to me like the storm mass might get sucked up and squirted out the top of the Florida Straits along the east coast without crossing over to the Gulf. The center of rotation is supposed to be in what seems to be clear, squall free space in the SW quadrant of the storm mass. So, who knows but I thought Fay might be well north of us later on tonight. I guess we'll see.

Regarding waves, here's what Magicseaweed has to say for Naples and the SW Coast:

and for waves heights: http://magicseaweed.com/Naples-Surf-...dLongRange/us/

They're saying the swells should shift to NW tomorrow morning. Not mega surf but perhaps rideable. There hasn't been much of a long term wind field with this one and all the land has obstructed swell development. Not that I'm complaining about any of this.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM

interesting, if it gets sucked into the Atlantic that will set up promising windows for us up here in RI, we love south swells marching up the coast
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM

Sorry, I guess I have not been clear...

I was hoping for a local kiter (or anyone with internet access) that I could call, or would call me during 8/28/2008-9/02/2008 to check the weather. I know it is unlikely that there will be wind. I can call friends in MI, but normally a local kiter can give a much better weather interpretation based on what the forecast says. For example, at a local spot near me, if forecast is south and it is sunny, it will most likely be ridable no matter what the number shows...and...another direction that would seem good to a non-local, is usually very gusty...

Thanks...

I know wind is unlikely, August is bad, but I'm also there September first and second. I'm sure there is a switch that clicks at midnight on August 31st....

I'm telling you guys, I'm coming down and I'm bringing the wind....
Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sorry, I misunderstood. I'll PM my phone number to you.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi