FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM

I flew today up the coast to see the space shuttle take off at Sebastian from the air. We were not allowed to go further North. On way home with eyes fixed downward came upon the massive spinners just North on Ft. Pierce inlet where I kited yesterday. I kited the South Jetty with 10 other kiters. Interesting the spinners were probably moving North and were very close to 10 surfers at North jetty. I watched channel 12 last night after they sucked me in on a biologist gonna talk on the "sharks." But the guy said nothing. I tried to Goggle his name to talk to this shark expert to no avail. I think I'll try the owner ( brother is a big time surfer) of the FL Oceanic Park here in Stuart as I hear he may be very knowledgable. Trying to get some info that could help figure out how to track these guys? I think there is no answer to this rhetorical question. I wonder if it is possible to tag them with electronics and follow them like they do the deer in the Keys? Like 20 clicks in one area would alert the public to stay on land? 5 clicks and we kite? Rudimentary Idea. Meanwhile at Ft. Pierce some guy was fishing for sharks near where we kite and swim? Great.
Then last night a guy caught a 150 Lb bull shark a mile from my condo/launch area. Not sure if he caught and released?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just came across a video of a number of spinner sharks kicking up out of the water shot from just north of Boca Raton Inlet.

Reportedly, the spinning, spinner sharks exhibit is related to its mode of feeding. The charge into school fish at speed, spinning or rotating scattering the school followed by a spinning boost out of the water. Presumably, they manage to grab some food while undertaking all these distracting gyrations.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi