FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Silent Majority

The Silent Majority ops:

Guilty. This is in fact my first post. I suppose I’ve been reluctant due to my status as a “newbie” and until recently (very recently) it seems like the problems have focused on beginners. I’ve actually been flying kites for only a year now and have been up and riding on a board for the last half of last season. I’ve used this forum and others as a resource for learning and certainly don’t feel that I have the experience to offer much useful input. So I’ve kept my mouth shut. But I’ve read and read and read and feel I should point out what should be so obvious to everyone.
I’ve reached a few conclusions. First, I’m not sure I will EVER ride at Skyway. Which is truly unfortunate bc I’m so close I could walk to the launch from my front door, literally. I had for sometime been anxiously awaiting the day that I had reached a comfort level that I could ride their (due to its proximity), but after reading posts about it and watching the mayhem with my own eyes… I think I’ll give it up. There are other options and much better ones at that. Let me explain myself.
Why have I avoided SW? There are many reasons I have never ridden at SW. The first being the density of kiters. I’ve felt that while learning and until I could go in any direction I wanted including upwind that my greatest asset to safety was distance. Distance from obstruction (rocks, roads, bridges), distance from bystanders, distance from other kiters. Distance from new kiters with similar lack of control to myself. Distance from the experienced out of respect… though it appears this turned out to be the safer option as the majority of the reckless seem to be those with the most experience. Statistically, and I’m certain Ricki could back this up, the more experienced are exponentially more likely to get hurt. Secondly and most importantly, it appears that SW (E shore) is a chosen spot for east winds. That means onshore. Isn’t one of the fundamental rules for safety to NEVER ride in onshore or offshore winds? At least not for beginners. Are all these lessons I hear of at SW occurring with onshore winds??? Do you expect someone starting out to maintain ground upwind? Totally Irresponsible!!! And I’m really surprised that this has never been addressed… unless I’ve simply missed it and then my apologies.
I’ve actually avoided the roundabout at East Beach too. Only bc of congestion. It really is the ideal place for e winds though. I do go to EB but I park in the parking lot and walk down the beach. Yup, that’s me I can understand why I’m literally the only one out there. It’s not nearly as convenient as parking your car where you’re going to launch and filling your kite up with a compressor. But I feel much safer with the seemingly infinite amount of space I’m offered with a 5 minute walk. And while learning to stay upwind I had plenty of beach to ride down and walk back up. And if I ended up too far downwind the beach bends and kills the wind… no threat of drifting too far downwind.
My main point here, in case it’s been lost, is for beginners. In east winds (or north winds for that matter) please avoid Skyway… you’re asking for trouble. East Beach at Fort Desoto is literally the perfect spot. If you are giving lessons please note this with equal importance. And too all of those dedicated to improving riding safety and conditions, Kudos to You!! I think the best ideas yet have been brought up most recently… sliders far offshore as possible and buoys to identify a launch/landing buffer zone (which by the way offer little hazard with weights only just heavy enough to keep them in place.. crab traps have a lot of concrete to keep them from being lost during the stormiest of weather).

Most Importantly Be Safe and Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Skyway Scott

Best first post of all time.
Most useful thread too (maybe).
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
popeye

zenlikeme, first, welcome to hell! (I'm kidding.. that's the name of the thread)

Second, great first post, thanks for speaking up. You must have either had a great instructor, or spent a LOT of time reading about kiteboarding because you seem to have a pretty good understanding of how to play it safe when you are starting out.

Next time I am out at East Beach I'll look you up and say hey.

-tom
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM

zen..

truly.. by this season ..assuming you are riding upwind with ease... the SW is an amazing place to ride.. there is SO MUCH ROOM if you make it that way.. you will see that the riders that want to be clear of the clutter can do so in matter of a couple tacks.. i almost exclusively ride inbetween the sandbar and the north bridge.. its light congestion usually.. if not.. i move away.

the skyway is one of the most amazing kiting places florida has to offer. i am certain of that.. EB is another destination MUST for any kiter in a 300 mile radius... and i applaud you for checking the scene out before kiting there and for doing the right thing at your kiting level.

I am proud to say that I went an entire season before I kited at the skyway because I listened to my instructor and to others on the local forum. I was riding upwind and doing small jumps before I kited at the skyway for the first time..

now the skyway backside (west) can be one of those "kite at your own risk" areas but only in the sense of the hazards.. if the wind is good, you can launch and tack out across the channel and will find yourself with so much room in every direction you will go nuts. of course coming back in to land is a pain.. but if you are SAFE you will be ok.

smart thing to do is to learn the area, find out about the hazards, understand the level of skill it takes to safely kite there and then have fun.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Default ONe dAy..

Thanks Guys and thanks to you Bryan for not letting me completely rule out SW... it'd truly be a shame if I never ended up feeling comfortable riding there... I could probably launch from my backyard and be there in less than a minute!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Can't Re-member

you could launch at the SW and be at a much better spot in a few tacks upwind a mile or two north from SW on an east or ENE wind

thats alright , cause everyone else is toooooo lazy to go upwind so I have the place to myself.

thats also why I love to kite @ Crandon cause everybody is toooo lazy to go to the actual good spot ( virginia key )

I really think there R alot of other better places to kite but people just don't realize it
Old 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
popeye

yeah you should definitely experience it at some point .. but not until you are comfortable with it. Usually if you get there early (8am) all of the college kids are still sleeping so you will the place to yourself and few other early birds.

Stay way upwind of everyone and you are golden.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Skyway Scott

I actually rode solo at the SW for about an hour and a half Sunday morning. It was solid 15 knots.
Time and place, as they say.

Saturday morning only had about 4 of us until 10 am.(when it usually dies)
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Newbie checking in. While I realize that SW and EB are 2 of the best spots, I really think there needs to be more mention of all the other riding spots especially the ones that are best for beginners. While a sign is a good step in promoting safety, instead of just telling beginners where not to ride how about making it public knowledge of all the places that are much better suited for beginners? This information would hopefully come from their instructor first but a few posts on here would probably be very helpful as well.

I took a lesson at Lassing Park and for now that is my go to place - shallow water, room to spread out a bit, and on a weekday not all that crowded. Where else is there like this that would be good for beginners that doesn't get too crowded? Would it hurt labeling some spots as beginner spots and try to direct newcomers there? I don't think newbies would mind much about the label and instead they would be happy to know that when they dump their kite for the 10th time that day that they aren't going to affect 8 other guys right next to them.

See you all at the SW in about 6 months
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Skyway Scott

Thanks for logging on.
Lassing and East beach might be about it in this area in terms of good spots for new riders.
St. Pete has a very limited number of spots to ride on easts and unlimited spots for wests.
That's really the problem is the limited number of spots for east wind.