FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

15 to 28, avg. 23 mph in Jupiter and 18 to 22, avg. 20 mph in Pompano right now out of the NNE. It's here!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Forecast looks good for the weekend!

Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM (AMZ650)

Friday...Northeast winds 12 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Friday Night...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday...East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday...East southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...East southeast winds 14 to 17 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Looks good! Thanks Rick, you just gave me the motivation to do a little kite trip there this weekend. I will leave Sarasota tomorrow morning, I think Jupiter is the closest spot for me to find some good winds this weekend.
If somebody from Tampa Bay wants a ride, let me know

I never rode 'big' waves, I saw these spots in Jupiter:

http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/...ter_inlet.html
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/...ic_center.html
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/...kitebeach.html

Juno Kitebeach seems great, but maybe there is an other one better in/around Jupiter? I ride for 3 years in flat water, I'm glad to try some waves finally

Antonin
Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Antonin,

The forecast and the wave height projections appear below. I like Jupiter but have also been riding in waves for almost 12 years on kites. I can recall folks having difficulties in the break there if they weren't used to it. NE is close to onshore there, toss in a breaker line and getting out can be difficult at times. These aren't very big conditions for Juno/Jupiter either as it can get quite a bit larger.

For a first time in waves, you might do better a bit further south IF waves develop as forecast. This may not happen this time. With each inlet you pass heading south the wave height drops. Delray Beach might be better for you although even there getting out can be challenging at times with near onshore winds. For a first time out you would do a lot better with side or side onshore winds. These aren't in the forecast in the area unfortunately for this weekend. The kite beach is south of Atlantic Ave, off the guarded beach about 150 yards south of Casurina Road. We need to stay away from the guarded beach there. There is about a mile and a half of private beach south of there with fewer issues. If the winds are lighter or later in arriving the waves could well be less of a factor.

Regarding Juno, I would ignore the other two spots particularly the inlet as the beach can be very narrow, there can also be surfers and tidal currents. Not a good spot for a first venture. You might be fine in Juno but the place to go is kitebeach, about a mile north of the Juno fishing pier and well south of the Inlet. The waves may not be much of an issue depending on how conditions develop. I would be sure to check the forecast again tonight and even in the morning if you are driving over Saturday. There is a nice livecam of Jupiter inlet and Boca Raton further south which shows conditions similar to Delray at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

Have a good trip!

Tonight...East northeast winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday...East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night And Sunday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers.

Sunday Night...East southeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers and thunderstorms.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 PM

Hello Rick,

Thank you I really appreciate your advices, very useful particularly when you never went to a spot
I'll check the forecast and webcam tomorrow morning before to leave.

I don't have any problem to ride upwind, but it could be a lot more difficult with the Atlantic's waves. If the waves seems to big at Kitebeach, I'll go directly to Delray Beach.

I'm glad to go there, it's been a while I didn't spent all day kiteboarding
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You are welcome Antonin. If you look at the zone wind forecasts moving southward down the coast you will see things pick up as you move towards the south. The zone north of Jupiter is expecting around 15 kts. and the zone immediately south of it, 15 to 19 kts. If you look at ikitesurf right now that is what the winds are approximating. It is around 12 off Jupiter right now, not real good, further south it picks up. The wind has been going all night so there will be waves at least long the windier parts of the coast. So, Delray should be a bit stronger than Jupiter from what is showing up this morning. It is a tighter, congested launch with a narrow corridor for access beyond 100 yards but NE 16 St. in Pompano might be even a bit better than Delray. Lower waves and a bit more wind from current indications. The launch rules are posted on a sign there if you go. As you know, all this varies daily. Often Jupiter has more wind than points south, just not this time.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 AM

Thank you Rich; I followed your advice, I went to Pompano because it looked more windy.
In the middle of the afternoon, it was very light but at the end of the day, it was really perfect in 14m.
The waves was not very big and it was OK to get out.

It was very good, except the fact that I lost my GoPro HD (and my leash didn't resist...) and I hurt my feet. It is weird because my feet was more or less good after the shock, and at 9pm when I was eating it begins to hurt so bad, impossible to walk! I came back at the motel on one leg, I put ice, but it didn't change anything, I had a lot of pain for few hours. I took Ibuprofene and tried to sleep, and this morning, I feel a lot better. It is very strange, the pain was so intense last night I thought I will be injured for weeks, but at the final, I'm almost good to ride this afternoon :lol:

Despite that I don't regret this trip and I will do it again soon to get this great east wind, very happy to have rode the Atlantic
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You are welcome! It picked up again nicely today, Sunday, hope you felt up to getting out. Some guys were even on 9 m kites. I did a short six mile round winder shooting video from the kite and chest harness. I am sorry to hear about your GoPro. I dropped one free diving on a wreck in 125 ft. of water in lower visibility a month or so ago, sucks. Still, it beats dropping a camera worth several thousand dollars! Sorry to hear about your foot injury, hope it heals fully and fast! Keep working at wave riding if you like it, it can grow on you.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 AM

I went to Juno Kitebeach yesterday, but unfortunately when I walked my feet was not very good, so I stayed on the beach (I prefer to miss one sesh than to be injured longer!)

The wind was very good, and the waves really bigger than at Pompano. Indeed, it is probably better to have a side wind to begin in this condition! I can't wait to come back there. I saw some crazy moves in surf, it was pretty interesting to watch.

It sucks for my GoPro, I don't have the budget to buy it again, but it is just materiel so I don't want to feel too sad about it, next time my leash will be indestructible
Old 11-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Nice session last night, waves and moon. Could have used more consistent wind but it was fun all the same. Anyone else get one in?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi