FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Howard Park Proposal

Hey guys I'm tired of kiting at Sunset beach and not be able to kite at Howard Park. Thus I decided to write a proposal/petition to the County Admin to open kiting at FHP. One voice won't make to much of an impact, however, many may persuade them. Here's my proposal so far... You can add or ratify the proposal until it is to 100% satisfaction to make the proposal or petition to Pinellas County. Advise and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

County Park Admin,

Kiteboarding is presently becoming one of the fastest growing water sports in the area. As an avid kiteboarder that kites at Sunset beach in Tarpon Springs, I would love to kiteboard at Howard park due to bigger space, and better wind conditions that Howard has to offer. I'm pretty sure that there is no particular rule on record stating that kiteboarding is not allowed. It's allowed at East beach in Fort Desoto as well as Sand Key. I noticed many recreational signs through out the backside beaches of Howard Park. Kiteboarding, windsurfing, kayaking, and etc. is commonly defined as recreational. From my understanding, approx. 5 years ago a kiter endangered the safety of a few patrons of which when the park supervisor banned the sport completely. One can argue the safety of kiteboarding is to risky, however, kiteboarding has evolved into a safety oriented sport due to requirements or prerequisite to take lessons from certified instructors.
In one proposal, there are many locations that require a rider certification card, such as Crandon Park in Miami. Without this card, you were not able to kiteboard. Rider certification cards are obtained by a certified kiteboard instructor that rate from a Level 1 to Level 3 kiteboarder. This tells the kiteboarders and enforcement officers in the park that they are experienced and acknowledged the safety of others. I would agree that Howard park should only have experienced kiters to launch/land from Howard. It would be no place for beginners. If possible let me know how I would be able to get a proposal in to open kiting at Howard park. Please forward this e-mail to whom this may concern. Thanks,

-Anonymous
Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Tom Stock

My suggestions, have a lawyer write the request (it'll be taken more seriously), and don't sign it as anonymous because it'll discredit you right off the bat. Use your real name.

You should probably Talk to E-Bone (he's a lawyer and a kiteboarder).

Last edited by Tom Stock; 02-23-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Yea thats exactly why I posted it on here first. I rather have a lawyer write it up to make it more effecient and presentable. Thanks,

-Tax Paying citizen j/j

Last edited by Brian360; 02-21-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Tom Stock

Right on. Send a PM to E-bone...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Thumbs up

BRAVO !
This is a great initiative !
You have my support and you can count on my signature if needed.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 AM

Go Brian, Go.

Maybe, you can suggest an authorization from October to April only, ie when it is not much crowded (no lifeguards on duty)...but windy.

Olivier
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM

damn i miss ebone at the beaches...

where the hell is that guy!?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM

It's definitely worth a try. I've kited at Sunset Beach since 2002 when there were only 1 or 2 kiters there. Lately more are kiting at that location and last Sunday it was crowded, both beach goers and kiters.

Fortunately, we have had no major incidents/accidents, but with more coming there, it will probably be a matter of time. I've stopped a couple of beginners from launching and told them to come back after they take some lessons. One wanted to launch a 20.5 machine in 12m conditions. I told him he would probably injure/kill himself and others as well as getting us banned there.

An obstacle to kiting at FHP will be the Friends of Howard Park, aka windsurfers. Once they hear about our effort they will lobby the park ranger to oppose it. There are areas designated for the PWCs along the causeway and perhaps we can get an area designated for kiting. The windsurfers always want the windward side of the backside beach, so perhaps to get our "foot in the door" we could take the leeward side.

A rider certification card would be great. However, keeping the beginners out will be a problem. Who's going to "police" the kiters to be sure they have a card? How does it work at Crandon? Does the park crew enforce the credentials?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
An obstacle to kiting at FHP will be the Friends of Howard Park, aka windsurfers. Once they hear about our effort they will lobby the park ranger to oppose it. There are areas designated for the PWCs along the causeway and perhaps we can get an area designated for kiting. The windsurfers always want the windward side of the backside beach, so perhaps to get our "foot in the door" we could take the leeward side.
what is it with the poleboarders??? I don't understand why so many of them have such a bad attitude towards kiters. Of course not all of them feel that way, but i guess we must be the "black sheep" of the sailing community. They always ride from howard park over to anclote and 3 rooker to check us out, whats wrong with us riding at fred howard?? I made the "crossing" over to howard from anclote one day with a few others and it looks like a real nice spot to ride. Hopefully we can gain access there, good luck brian thanks for your hard work. Let me know if you need some signatures to help push your proposal
Old 02-23-2008, 03:03 PM

I hadnt been back to crandon since the new deal there, but I am sure Christoph is trying to make it work, not sure if the park backs him up or not.I think its 25 or 30 bux, plus 89.00 IKO insurance that probably doesnt pay U.S. claims.
Windsurfers are pretty cool people and probably out numbered by now, so we do what it takes to get along with them.
Ultimately a "system" has to be enforced at the local level, by the locals. New kiters want to blend in asap, they will want a tag and have to earn it. Thats what it takes to be a kiter, and would be common knowledge.
Theres info posted in various threads about this system on here and on Kiteforum.com.
Lemmie know if you think it would work up there.