FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Video - Caribbean Reef Shark Attack

This video just went up from a dive on Tuesday of this week in 70 ft. off Grand Cayman's East End, near to the High Rock/blowhole area. I understand the diver was quite new and was certified a few weeks ago. The video was captured with a GoPro mask mounted camera.. There is some controversy about it and time may sort things out. Looking it over, there are a lot of elements which suggest the clip is real shadows, exhaust being blown away from the sharks passes, etc.. In the meantime it is worth watching. It is ironic the diver was shooting lionfish and carrying them in a capture container before the attacks started. I have heard stories from early in the lionfish invasion in which sharks would ignore shot lionfish when they were offered. Things may have changed in that regard. The shark was quite persistent for a while after. I counted 15 times that the diver struck or pushed the shark away in a short interval.

"Caribbean Reef Shark encounter in the Western Caribbean Sea. We were Lion Fish Culling when the shark came out of no ware. It scared the crap out of me. Filmed on my GoPro 3 camera. We were in about 70' of water when the shark encounter occurred.

The Cayman Islands is where I learned to dive and one of the best dive locations in the world. I would strongly recommend that anyone take a vacation here to enjoy the beauty of its reefs. You will see amazing animals everywhere. I especially recommend night diving. I love this place and will continue diving here for the rest of my life. In no way did this encounter discourage me from getting back into the water.

I want to make it clear that I am hunting lion fish to help protect the reef from the destruction that they cause. The shark was acting in his natural environment. I have no ill will toward him and will get back in the water and continue to protect the reef for future generations. I would strongly encourage anyone out there to donate to REEF.org or other organizations to help protect our reefs, Sharks and the beautiful creatures in them."

You can read some comments from the diver, Jason Dimitri on the youtube comment thread at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJmrv_KF24

A possible explanation. Divers have been feeding lionfish to sharks who seem to have overcome their reluctance to eat them. Case in point from Belize:

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-16-2014 at 04:11 PM.