FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Last edited by Boschoss; 06-01-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I'm sorry to hear about this development. Do you think the main problem is riders in general tooling along close to the beach, overflying strollers, riding among bathers and losing kite control among all of the above at times? Regarding the dunes, do you think that is related to guys beach jumping and skiing across the sand?

It sounds like putting some guidelines together quickly is in order, ideally along with some of the local leading riders. A short list and then promoting it to the local kiting community.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Last edited by Boschoss; 06-01-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Section 5-29 D is what you have to watch out for. This is clearly where our sport falls and the wording is very broad and subjective as to what behavior constitutes a violation of the code. It's time to step up and smell the government. We must self police to avoid being outlawed. I watched a guy over here on the west coast yesterday ride between a wading fisherman and the shore. Just not necessary, to piss people off. I know you are in control of your rig, but the people you are riding in close proxcimity to don't and these simple actions are what is going to kill our access. Lead by example people. Enjoy the wind. Craig
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 AM

Angry

Is it just me or does anybody else find it ironic that Cocoa Beach has been cool with kiteboarding for over four years but now they are threatening us only months after Good Breeze and 321 has entered the picture. I have seen you give lessons and you are not safe.

I don't mean to be a hater but I saw someone get hot launched into the mangroves at the 520 Slick during a "professional" lesson. I also saw a 12 year old getting a lesson on a 12 meter kite when everyone else was on a 9 in Titusville.

I do not really think the problem is with the kiteboarders. We have not had a problem for years. The problem is with those who are giving the lessons. In fact, I predicted this would happen when I saw these lessons.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Last edited by Boschoss; 06-01-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Do not mean to attack you, just felt the need to call you out. You have a greater responsibility since you give lessons. You said the city is banning kiteboard lessons, not kiteboarding, so that leads me to believe that there is more of a problem with the lessons, not the locals.

You were giving the demo at the slick, therefore, it is your responsibility to make sure people are safe. I would have refused to launch him. He was launching on your kite. I have turned people down for a launch if they refuse to listen. Lesson or demo, we should not allow someone to make a mistake that could cost us our sport. A sport I have enjoyed in Brevard County for a very long time.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Last edited by Boschoss; 06-01-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 AM

Just wanted to chime in. I live in the Tampa area and teach kiteboarding for WSW. I have been travelling to Cocoa for over 20 years now to surf and kite. I usually kite at Cherry Downs and surf 2nd light. As an outsider, I can say without hesitation I have witnessed careless riders just as I see them over here and everywhere I travel for that matter. Beach riding is the toughest as this scenerio puts us in higher contact with the public. Again I have seen unsafe practices from kiters over there all the time just as I do here. Addressing it is tough to do but must be addressed.

I can understand kitechic's frustration as the level of instruction in the industry has a ton of room for improvement. It is unfair however to assume the arrival of kite schools and these city complaints in any way are related.

I think all instructors and riders need to work together towards common goals to prevent needless bans in this sport.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Kite Schoolin

Are the kite schools teaching at the beach ?

IF THEY ARE, I don't think there are any beaches in cocoa beach where there are not tourist and families sitting or walking that a safe amount of space exist for lessons.

A trainer kite without a harness ok. But no hooking tourist up to a kite that is capable of dragging them.

In fact I don't think it's appropriate that Ron Jons/Good Breeze should promote kiteboarding lessons as something fun to do while here on Vacation here from Kansas. "" Looking for something fun to do while on vacation? Are you in search of some adventure "" .....an exerp from there website.

Let's promote our sport with the same disiplines taught in scubadiving and skydiving. In fact neither sport puts bystanders at risk as much as kitesurfing. I'm thankful that there are local schools that can offer lessons so that people can receive proper instruction on kiting and most important to be taught first saftey.

....but Please let's keep it away from the innocent people on the beach!

As far as the reckless kiters on the beach, Please never feel afraid to pipe up and let someone know that you think there a kook for showing off. Of course diplomacy is key to effectively making your point, so don't call them a kook, but do call them out.

.... Stay away from people swimming and surfing when your kiting. Your coming at them fast and they get freaked. One of them may be the one that pulls the plug on the sport at my beach.