FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > Upcoming Events!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kite comp's have been around a long time at Crandon, first one was in 2001. They usually last a short time, unlike the tennis tournaments which can shut the whole area down for quite a time. Crandon is good for or ENE to E to almost S. I would pray for something a bit more easterly for ideal conditions or better still a "normal" wind year!

Should be fun this weekend!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

troubleshooter,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I agree with Rick that it is generally pretty open during the comp. Actually, the kite discovery classes will do more to disrupt your riding spot than the comp. The nice thing is that you can ride just up wind over the flats or in front of VKey in the kickers. Agreed that the beach will be packed, but the wind is just as good on the outside and the water just as flat up wind by the point. I'd also suspect that Matheson will be great this weekend as most people will be at Crandon for the event.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

An update from Christophe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikiteboarding View Post
Forecasts look pretty good for the MIAMI KITEBOARDING MASTERS contest this Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th in Crandon Park North Beach , Key Biscayne, Fl.

18kts just on Sat & sund (!) , Couldn't expect better conditions for the 7th edition of this annual Competition ! And this year is special as we will have a GRAND OPENING of our NEW front beach Kitesurfing Center in Crandon.

The goal of Miami's biggest Kitesurfing festival over 2 days, is to promote the sport through: Races, Kitesurfing clinics to public, Lastest Kite gear & SUP Demo, and attendance of all the locals kiters community and industry.

With a special Theme for this edition: How to maintain kitesurf spots & accesses , as it became a hot topic in Miami with the recent ban of Hobie Beach.

The event will feature:

- COURE RACING
- FREESTYLE contest
- Strapless contest (Free)
- Paddleboards Races (Free)
- Discovery Kitesurfing Lessons at $30/Hour
- FREE DEMO of 2010 kite gear & Paddleboards
- FREE STUFFS raffled to Spectators :
1 new Starkite 2010 - Sealane Cabarete Vacation- Kitaddict Kite wear - Kitesurfing lessons - NPX water gear - and tons of accessories & goodies
- PARTY at the Bayside Hut on Saturday night - 7pm by the Old Marine Stadium

Registrations open online , Schedule of the Contest, directions, accomodations, and 2009 MASTERS images : CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK
http://www.miamikiteboarding.com/mkb2010.html

See u this W.E

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 AM
damion_dark

I checked weather underground.com and it doesn't look like its going to be good wind?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Not what I see in the forecast, weatherunderground uses the same one. Hope it is accurate, time will tell.

Saturday...Northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet building to 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Chance of showers.

Saturday Night...East winds 15 to 19 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Chance of showers.

Sunday...East winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 11 to 14 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet subsiding to 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Sunday Night...East winds 9 to 14 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet subsiding to 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

add 2 to 5 more knots forecast for the next zone south which sometimes comes to Crandon and it should be even better.

Looking good for now, pray for the wind to come as forecast.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
damion_dark

oops. my bad, yep it looks like you're right.