FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE! > Race Info
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default 48 hr update 1-3

"Hi all,

Ok this is where we are at, it is a very similar set up that we had just before Christmas where the wind will be strong to the South but getting lighter as we go North. Also the biggest problem is that they are forecasting straight East winds in Jupiter of which will not be a good direction for the race as we do need some North to get around the bend. This said I will still keep us on hold with a 40% chance of racing. Myself and Jeremy are both watching this very carefully on every weather site and using our local knowledge the best we can.
So stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed. If it does not happen this weekend we will shoot for the next and if that fails we will go with the next available given day whether a weekday or not.

Cheers Neil"
Old 01-03-2008, 02:10 PM

For what it is worth, when we did the FtL to Mia a few weeks back the wind was very onshore. This did make the race pretty hard on the legs, but the speeds were fine. While I thought that the onshore winds would make people ride close to shore, it actually had the opposite affect. Racers were staying as far out as they could because we were worried that if you got to close to shore you may have to tack. This would likly be the case if he wind was onshore in Jupiter as well.

I for one would expect that this race with more east wind woud be significantly more difficult than last year, but a great challenge anyway. With all of the jetties and piers along the route, riders would be trying to push to the outside to avoid tacking. As soon as we reach the corner the ride would be pretty easy again. It looks as though the wind will be a bit better than our FTL to MIA run a few weeks back. This would allow people to get off shore a bit farther. The water start would become very important as well. I am just concerned that if the wind doesn't come next weekend, that if we run it on a week day our 100 racers will quickly subside to 25 or so. That's just my 2 cents.

If we don't do it maybe we could have a practice "ROUND WINDER" eithe in FTL or Miami. Let me know Neil. thx.

Kent
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Thumbs up wind!

First off, a very happy new year to everyone! I am psyched up and ready to take this big race on! Sad to say I was not able to take part in last years race. This year I am honored that I can be apart of this special race. To me these kinds of events are great for the sport of kiteboarding and to push everyone’s limits. My parents sent a note to Neil saying I could race! Just kidding!! I am really excited! I can't wait till we get something rolling in the Florida area! This could be the big push we are looking for to get the events rolling this New Year in the states! I have looked at all the forecasts and well the east wind is not the ideal wind direction but it looks to me like we have wind!!! Lots of it!

I respect any decision made and if I can help let me know!

Lets have a great year!! Thanks

Damien LeRoy