FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-14-2007, 05:37 AM

Unhappy Conch Shells at the backside hurt!!

I was riding Wednesday at the backside in fairly light winds about 4 PM. Was about 100 yards offshore in 15" of water when the wind lightened up more so I started walking back to beach with kite up.

After about 5 steps I put my foot directly onto a conch shell that had the long pointed end sticking up.

It went straight thru my booty and I felt it scrape against the bones up in my in my ankle.

Had to drag back 100 yards to beach, crash kite, then crawl 50 yards to truck. Lost a lot of blood then went into shock. Luckily a tourist was there and gave me some gatoraid to keep me from passing out.

Got to Bayfront ER. XRays showed a 2 1/2 inch by 1 inch piece of shell broken off and wedged in between my foot bones. Can you say Ouch!

Spent 2 days in hospital due to blood loss and infection risk. Will probably be on crutches for a week or so

THE BACKSIDE STRIKES AGAIN!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Can't Re-member

That really sucks Jay.....

that's also one of the reasons I never wear booties, by the time you put your foot down the things have pretty much penetrated.
W/O booties you immediately feel anything and so you can pull your foot back.

Hope you heal up soon

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 AM
popeye

I dunno, no booties, you split your foot wide open on just about anything from an oyster shell to a aluminum can... with booties you avoid 90% of everything, but the big one still gets you.

I think THAT thing would have gotten anyone booties or not, probably even worse. That is a a TERRIBLE thing to step on. I had something similar happen 14 years ago cave diving when I came down on a broken bottle in a sink hole. I STILL have glass in my knee and it still gets hot and hurts like hell if I bump it on something, and that wasn't even a nasty stinky slimy conch from backside.

Jay, I hope you heal quick. We heard about your injury from Bill a couple of days ago and he described it to Scott, Haas and I just how you did, except that you were so screwed up on pain killers that he didn't get the details on how to made it to the E.R. We all felt sick when we heard about how bad it was. Shell on bone and all that, lots of blood loss, deep penetration, ouch is right.

Terrible timing with the new family member and all. That is a pretty serious injury.

Hope you heal quick and avoid nasty infection.

-tom
Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Skyway Scott

Yeah,

That is really bad and very sad to hear this. Hope you heal up soon.

I am confident that foot injuries among us St. Pete riders (bad injuries, not just a paper cut) is up around 20 or so and is more common than any other injury. I have seen personally at least 8 guys filet (literally) their foot wide open, or have a shell go 2 to 3 inches straight into the foot. I have heard stories of at least 12 other incidents and talked to the guys later about it. Billy alone has had 5 or 6 bad foot injuries.

I am sure your injury Jayson is as bad or worse than mine, but I had a similar thing happen about 3 years ago. The doctor told me that foot injuries like that tend to be the most painful of all injuries due to deep pressure receptor nerves in that area. (He told me this AFTER he put needles etc. in the area to remove the little pieces of shell).
I believed him, because I have never been in so much pain as that day. In comparison, my doctor told me I'd really need pain killers for my knee surgery. LOL... that was nothing in comparison. I bet an exposed tooth nerve is possibly the worst, but you get my point.
I hope it heals up and the pain goes away. Bleeding that much and going into shock sucks, but that probably lessened your odds of infection (?)

In terms of booties, I don't know. I just know I walk extremely lightly out there and at East Beach. And actually, if possible, I never touch the bottom. Obviously when walking you can't walk on water.
The worse thing you can do, imo, is land on your feet if botching a jump.
Land on your butt in my advice. I have never worn booties though either Raul, because of your reasoning. But, I also have been cut bad several times. I think either way you are kinda screwed, is my opinion.

Hope you get well and soon Jayson.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I just know I walk extremely lightly out there and at East Beach. And actually, if possible, I never touch the bottom. Obviously when walking you can't walk on water.
The worse thing you can do, imo, is land on your feet if botching a jump.
Land on your butt in my advice.

Yep, to all Scott says.

he doesn't wear booties much either. Thing is I've prolly had many more minor scrapes and little cuts than anybody by not wearing booties cause I walk lightly and pull back on any sensation that doesn't feel like muck/ mud.
BUT, in all my years on the water, I have never had "The Big One" even close to once. I prefer alotta little ones to that.

Oh yeah , if you don't plane away from it always go for the butt landing as scott said. Not only can there be sharp things down there but you can also mess up or twist/ break your foot/ ankle/ knee big time by coming down in the shallows improperly.

Get Well Soon Jayson!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Skyway Scott

I understand your logic Raul. If something builds up enough pressure to "burst through" the booty it is going to be traveling quickly and definitely puncture your foot with force.
Walking lightly and wearing booties is probably the wisest move.
The worse thing to do (which Jayson does not) is run around with booties on or land hard on your feet when the board falls off, thinking you are protected from that razor sharp shell with that wimpy piece of rubber on your foot.
Hey, maybe someone could make more comfy booties incorporating kevlar on the bottom for better protection? I don't think protection is necessarily a bootie's goal.
Does anyone know of a really, really tuff pair of booties on the bottom, I mean tough! If so, I might buy a pair.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Jayson, I have crutches (had similar injury last year). Let me know if you need them...
Old 07-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks Russky but my mom-in-law got me some crutches. but, I am accepting any pain meds that anyone wants to offer ;0)

Without infection I am hoping to be up and walking in about a week.

I guess the good side is that I'm not missing much wind this time of year. Also,

"It's much better to get shell in foot at backside than foot in backside at backside" (excuse my medicated humor)
Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 PM

Okespor booties have kevlar inserts, available at Real. 50 bux I think. "kite low" booties have the smooth bottom and better for boardoff trix. "Gorge" booties have a thicker sole with burly tread.
Get well soon Assblaster.
BTW, I need a few(3) one pump strut bladders, anyone have any for sale/trade/donation?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Skyway Scott

Excellent. Considering Jay's and others' mishaps, getting any other pair of booties seems like a waste of time, imo.
I just ordered them off Evan at L2K cuz he gave Donna such a smoking deal on a kite about 4 months ago.

Thanks Steve. I did a google search for "booty kevlar protection" and came up with nothing but fireman's boots earlier. Glad you knew about these.

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/inde...productID=6292