FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Default nude beach-loss of Smathers Beach

Sorry Frank, but I think you have to have an online subscription for that, which I don,t have. I have just spoken to Tracey (a nudist ) who has asked me if I would stand up at the commission meeting and say that the kiters are willing to share the beach with them, I declined as I told her I do not talk for or represent all the kiters and that I also do not know how much of the beach and water area they wanted. I told her that on Friday ,myself and any other kiter who wishes to talk will let them know what we need to continue our sport and that if they can work around this then I will not oppose them and they are welcome to quote me etc. I personally, as long as it does not affect our kiting area, would rather have an organised group who can keep their bathers out of "our way" than the general public who we have no way of controlling. The talk was a pleasant one and I hope the meeting goes well on Friday.

Greg
Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for maintaining communications Greg. Here is Mandy's article. I couldn't find your letter to the editor online unfortunately.

"Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Nude beach question may be on Oct. 6 ballot
Question may be on Oct. 6 ballot
By MANDY BOLEN Citizen Staff

At least one Key West official wants to let the voters decide whether a nude beach should be allowed in the Southernmost City.

City Commissioner Bill Verge will ask his fellow lawmakers next week to place a question on the Oct. 6 ballot asking voters whether they support an exception to the current law that prohibits nude sunbathing within the city limits.

"This is a community decision, not a commission decision," Verge said Tuesday.

He wants to know how the voters feel about a nude beach.

In recent months, a group known as Florida Keys Free Beaches has been championing the idea of a clothing-optional beach. Representatives from the group spoke at a July 7 City Commission meeting. They described Haulover Beach, a clothing-optional beach in Miami Beach, and told the commission that the beach is safe, patrolled by its own beach ambassadors and family-friendly.

The group has suggested that the east end of Smathers Beach would be a good place for a clothing-optional designation, but they may have to work with several local kiteboarders, who use that area for their fledgling sport.

None of the local kiteboarding companies operate their business from that area, but it is where they capture the attention of many potential clients and students, said kiteboarder Greg Meintjes, who added that he and other kiteboarders do not oppose a nude beach, but they do want to be sure they still have access to their "adopted" area of the beach.

If Verge's proposed referendum makes it to the ballot, and if voters show support for a nude beach, it would be up to the City Commission to identify a location for it, Verge said.

Florida Keys Free Beaches also has explored using the area of Higgs Beach in front of West Martello Tower as a clothing-optional area.

That designation would require county approval, because Higgs Beach and the adjacent park property are owned and managed by Monroe County.

Commissioners will vote Tuesday on Verge's proposed referendum. The proposal must pass two public readings to become an official part of the Oct. 6 ballot.

Voters also will be asked whether the Key West mayor should serve a term of four years rather than two, and whether the city should sell a piece of property to the Pier House Resort.

The city owns the land that houses the resort's Caribbean Spa, and is considering selling it to the resort owners for about $6 million, although a purchase price is not yet finalized.

The City Commission meets Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Old City Hall, 510 Greene St.

mbolen@keysnews.com"

http://keysnews.com/node/15240

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-15-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Nude beach- loss of Smathers Beach

Here is a copy of the letter to the editor ...

Kiteboarders already use east end of beach

Lately there has been a lot of talk about the creation of a nude beach, and one of the proposed sites is at the eastern end of Smathers Beach. Myself and some of the local [kiteboarders] are worried about this, as this is also the only safe and viable beach on this island to practice our sport.

About 10 years ago, five or six of us happened to start kiting at about the same time, and soon discovered that the best place for us to ride was at the east end of Smathers. The reasons were obvious; no one ever used that end of the beach, so we had a safe and open area to launch and ride due to the fact that there were no beachgoers or bathers for us to contend with.

That was then. Now if you go down there on almost any given day when it is windy , the beach is packed with fellow kiters from Key West and around the world. The reason is simple; kiteboarding is one of the fastest growing water sports in the world, and Key West is one of the best spots to kite.

Myself and some of my fellow kiters have no problem with naturists. Our concern is protecting our riding area that we "adopted" 10 years ago so that we can still enjoy our sport, and turning that area into a popular area for bathers will ruin it for us. Everyone has a right to enjoy the beaches. Hopefully we can all work together for a great compromise. With the backing of some fellow kiters, I have been successfully working with the city manager's office regarding kiteboarding at Smathers Beach since January, and would like to thank them for their support in this matter.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to call me at 305-407-6748.

Greg Meintjes

Key West
Old 07-17-2009, 04:51 AM

Default nude beach-loss of smathers beach

The front page of the newspaper , had kiteboarding on it again today, but this time it was concerning the fisherman in the upper keys, who do not want us and portray us in a bad light. I am also aware that we have had a few complaints re kiters anchoring in sea grass so they can kite and although this may have happened, I think that a lot of the problems arise out of jelousy due to the growing number of kiters coming down. Now more than ever we need to get organised, I know the guys in the upper keys were starting a Fl Keys kiteboarding association, we need to help them get this off the ground and get organised. As much as we would like to keep this all quiet and under the radar, we are mainstream and need to act like professionals to portray our sport in a positive and beneficial light.

No matter who goes in the ocean, wether it is a bather walking on the seagrass or someone wearing the wrong type of sunscreen, we can all have a detrimental effect. We need to try and give back, so when the season starts at the end of September /October, KEY WEST KITEBOARDING is going to have a KITE NITE where we will have some equipment to raffle off with the proceeds going to the SEAGRASS foundation. We have been planning this for some time now ,but did not want to advertise it too prematurely. All of the kite companies in the Keys are welcome to participate if they wish, as this will help all of us.

We also need to do more to educate visitors who come down here with their own boats to go kiting about damaging the enviroment through negligence or ignorance.

When you talk at the ,meeting on Tuesday evening Rick, it would be great if you can mention that we are aware of some of these concerns and are working to minimise them and that kiting is one of the most enviromentaly friendly growing sports out their.

Brad ,Noel ,Paul, Kevin and anyone else , lets all get together so that we can ensure that the Keys remains a great kiteboarding destination.

Greg
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Default comission meeting

Tomorrow evening, the city comission is going to have it's second vote on wether to put the proposal for a nude beach to a public vote. Paul Menta and myself are working together on this subject and have a few ideas in mind on what action we have to take if our kiting area is threatened. We will both be at the meeting to see what is proposed and to give our input or objections. One of the main questions we need answered is exactly where they want the nude area designated for them. Paul has found out that they are very busy with a public campaign to "educate" the public about their lifestyle. So when the time comes we are going to make sure the public knows about what a great family orientated lifestyle among other pluses the kiters have to offer. We are going to be looking for phrases for some signs that we are going to have made closer to the election time, if anyone has any ideas they will be greatly appreciated, so far Paul has come up with quite a good one-
"WE DON'T HAVE TO DROP OUR PANTS TO BE EXTREME" .

We will let you know how the meeting goes.

Greg
Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM

How about "IT'S SEXIER TO CONCEAL THAN TO REVEAL"

or "KEEP OUR ISLAND GREEN, NOT PINK" (my favorite)

or maybe just a simple, "KEEP OUR BEACHES FAMILY FRIENDLY"

OR if they do succeed, post a sign that says "DON'T SCARE THE TOURISTS"
Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Default slogans

Nice ones Frank, you are in the wrong profession, you should have been in advertising. When do you think you will be back down.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 AM

kite naked

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Greg,

You have the support of Otherside Boardsports and most if not all the locals in the upper Keys. We start haveing out meetings @ October or November. I am haveing knee surgery in a week or so and will only be out for a month. I will be back in the Keys in October. I will also be coming to a few meetings in Key West this year.

If you need anything, just call me or Otherside Boardsports.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Kite Nite

Thanks Noel, we really appreciate everyone,s support, Brad also called me and is setting up a website for kiteboarders and the general public for the keys. (I will let Brad put up the details when he is ready) Key West Kiteboarding will be holding another Kite-Nite towards the end of September to promote safe and eco friendly kiteboarding in the Keys. At the moment I am talking to my suppliers to get prizes donated to make it more fun for everyone.The proceeds are going to go to either reef relief or the sea grass foundation, I have not yet made that decision, as I have to still talk to them.

I will definately come up for one of your meetings when they start again, please keep me informed.

Greg