FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > STANDUP - Standup Paddleboarding, Beach-Boy Surfing, Standup Surfing or Hui O He'e Nalu
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Default After the wind.....stand up paddle where?

hello all, great to get more wind, hope every one enjoys. Can anyone recomend a good place for me to catchsome waves not far out of miami, i stand up paddle board alot, train on it in no wind, just did 20 miles the other day, looking to tune some fins out and i have to be up there next week. Any ideas? I know jupitor and further is better, but i dont have lots of time.

aloha

Paul Menta
Old 10-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: After the wind.....stand up paddle where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kite House
hello all, great to get more wind, hope every one enjoys. Can anyone recomend a good place for me to catchsome waves not far out of miami, i stand up paddle board alot, train on it in no wind, just did 20 miles the other day, looking to tune some fins out and i have to be up there next week. Any ideas? I know jupitor and further is better, but i dont have lots of time.

aloha

Paul Menta
Wow, 20 miles, Laird, Paul is bring on some heat from the SE. As you know between shallow gradual bathymetry, mutliple reef terraces and the Bahamas most of Miami-Dade and Broward Counties usually have chop, short wavelength sets with some exceptions. Of course if a northerly breeze comes up you might have a wind swell to work parallel to the coast.

A narrower coastal shelf, the absence of substantial shallow reef terraces and a hole in the Bahamas allow some nice swells to setup in Boca Raton and Delray. We also get some fairly wide sand bars that can setup waves 200 ft. offshore at times. Further than that in heavier stuff. So, you could park at Spanish River Blvd. in Boca or near Causurina Rd. in Delray and go out and work the swells if any are running.

Jupiter is good but Ft. Pierce might be even better. It certainly is for wave kiting when a strong northerly wind is on.

I can recall one kiting session during the Air Sea Show year before last starting just north of the Dania Pier. I recall there were some low swells setting up about 100 ft. offshore for reasons that I am not fully clear on. This is a lot closer to Miami than Boca but maybe more probamatical. Why not head up to Boca, let me try your rig and I'll take you out to dinner?

More about Standup at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2059

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM

SURFLINE.COM is a good resource for wave info. I am looking forward to heading down to Key West again and hooking up with Nick when the NW winds start blowing.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Default paddlesurfing

in Miami if you paddlesurf launch off virginia key, paddle north to fisher island, before rocks is a sweeeet spot noone rides. On sobe 23 st & collins. Up North Delray Beach all these spots are clean rides no one goes to bc they like to bunch up on each other.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerooka View Post
in Miami if you paddlesurf launch off virginia key, paddle north to fisher island, before rocks is a sweeeet spot noone rides. On sobe 23 st & collins. Up North Delray Beach all these spots are clean rides no one goes to bc they like to bunch up on each other.
Lots of great areas throughout Miami, all over Florida really. Yes, I've noticed the tendency to form "furballs" among kiters. People do like to lump up as opposed to spreading out and enjoying all that space. What do you ride? I have only seen one guy off of Delray so far doing standup. Then again, I usually only there when there's wind.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Default paddlesurf

im new to paddle surfing but have surfed all over florida, so far I only paddled @ deerfield & virginia.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Rick,
Are any demos out there to Stand up paddle.
I've seen some boards for sale at Island WaterSports in Deerfield Beach but I'm looking to try it out first. I'm on Vaca this week so if you have some local info it would be great.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Rick,
Are any demos out there to Stand up paddle.
I've seen some boards for sale at Island WaterSports in Deerfield Beach but I'm looking to try it out first. I'm on Vaca this week so if you have some local info it would be great.
Sorry just got back to a working terminal. Vaca Key, if so you might check with Nick with thekitehouse.com in Key West. You might be able to work something out.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi