FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 AM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
i dont think its as bad as you guys are making it out to be, i ridden there... and if you take the proper precautions its perfectly fine.... when you launch your kite, keep it low, on windy days you should never stand
If you happened to launch, with kite low, when it gusted to 40 as it did with this kid, would you end up in the highway? Is it that close? Looked like the beach was only 30 feet wide with no protection (mangroves, etc). Seems sketchy to me but I admit I've never ridden there (and probably won't).
Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 AM

Smile Chris' Status

Chris is doing really well. He came home from the hospital two weeks ago and will be going back to school this week. He ended up with a couple of broken ribs, four pelvic fractures (not shattered which would have been horrific) and some burns. His body never actually touched the electrical lines but the electricity did arc and touch him on the way down to the guardrail....therefore the damage was much less than it could have been. He will have no lasting damage....a lucky boy. He will be back kiteboarding in a couple of months with more local instruction re: weather and local conditions. For what it is worth he launched north of the causeway because he saw several other kiters out in the water and also had helped someone teach a lesson there this summer. He will not make the same mistake again.....and he will tell others to avoid that spot. He keeps going over it and can't believe that he ignored the proximity of the powerlines...as someone else has said there is no margin for error. He tried to depower the kite and could not (gust was 45mph) and then the next thing he remembers is waking up in the ambulance. He never lost consciousness though......and is unsure why he never unhooked the kite. He is a strong athletic kid but it may still have been impossible or things happened too quickly....who knows. Also...we made him wait until he was 16, he had to earn the money and buy his own equipment and took several lessons including attending two summer camp programs up in Michigan this summer. He did nothing but fly the kites all summer to get used to the feeling....he is not reckless or we would not have supported him picking up the sport (and would certainly not be continuing to support him in his decision to get back on the water as soon as he can.....). Thank you to everyone who gave him their support. He will sign on under his own signature and be reading all of the info on the forum...lots of great safety tips.......Chris' mom
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up Props to Chris!!!

That is great to hear Mrs. Kenny. Props to Chris for having the cajones to "fall off the horse and get right back on"!!! I don't know him personally yet but it appears as though he is a great addition to our kiteboarding community here in the St. Pete/Tampa/Sarasota area!!! Thanks for the update!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM

I am glad to hear he is doing so well.

Also, when sh** hits the fan things do happen so quickly that more often than not people dont pull thier quick release (QR), including experienced riders. Accidents dont happen that often to each individual so we don't get practise pulling the QR. It's Human Nature,when in panic mode, we get tunnel vision and use instincts without involving much calculated thought.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
I am glad to hear he is doing so well.

Also, when sh** hits the fan things do happen so quickly that more often than not people dont pull thier quick release (QR), including experienced riders. Accidents dont happen that often to each individual so we don't get practise pulling the QR. It's Human Nature,when in panic mode, we get tunnel vision and use instincts without involving much calculated thought.
Yep. I remember my first accident. I got lofted but didn't think I would keep going up. Then I got too high and was scared to let go..... and then went up even more.... I finally came down just on the edge of the shoreline and then need a couple of stiches in my knee. Loads of fun. It's not that easy for everyone though. I think I got lucky that day. and I'm a lot safer for it now.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Skyway Scott

I already told Chris in a couple PMs that I lied my ass off regarding never going to the hospital due to kiting in that stupid interview. I've been at least 4 times, and one injury killed a whole season. Sometimes stuff happens, even when you are trying to be safe.

Anyway, my point is that I felt lying about our injury rate to the media was probably best since their goal was to make it look dangerous, but I definitely want Chris and his Mom to know (much as Kevin is doing now) that we all make mistakes, and sometimes the wind just "has it's way".
It's just unfortunate that you got hurt so bad on one of your first mistakes.
Most of us just get scraped up real bad.

Get well soon and come out and ride with us.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Thumbs up

Yeah dude! I hope to see you in the water sometime soon. I'm glad to read that your love for the sport is still intact. Get well soon brah!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 AM

This message is to Chris and everyone else on here.

I am personally impressed with the outpouring of support and encouragement that has been given to Chris. This really shows what kind of people we have in the kiting community and I think these times reveal true character.

Good job everyone, hope to see you on the water soon Chris!