FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 AM

You guys are too hard on him, he said he was not thinking right on the first interview. I've seen it a number of times and he looks pretty out of it. I'm sure now that he is better he'll be fine. I think it would be better to have words coming from him taking back his previous statements.

I just hope he says something about how those conditions were unsafe and no one should kite in them.

Kiting is a safe sport if you are properly trained and kite in proper conditions. These are conditions where the wind is consistant.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Kevin, Follow your own gut instinct. I quote you "Sure I can probably do an interview. The program name "rampage" is a hesitation. "

That is an acurate first gut feeling, listen to your self.

Don't give them any fuel to add our sport to a crash and burn show.

With out any additional input from you all they have is old news reels that folks have already seen and can watch on you tube. No ratings in that. As soon as you say hello they are off to the races in the edit room to twist up something that makes a rating. The good stuff you may say won't make it on the Rampage show

Use the "hesitation" to stop and walk away from this thing. Go ride with your buddies and have a blast. Enjoy the wind.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Whitey I totally hear you about the edit room so here is discovery channel's response to the hesitation I presented.
Since the whole thing has been totally publicized from the start there are a lot of variables. As I mentioned they would be showing my clip in the show without my interview. And would have people discussing the storm and the sport.
Im currently viewing the potential interview to be a calming, knowledgeable, final public discussion of my situation; and Discovery channel is a decent place for that.
My goal would be a finally to fay to get back to riding with buddies. Hopefully I get to ride before doing a possible interview to remind myself of some things

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for writing back. The name Rampage blankets a series of 8 episodes highlighting amazing footage caught on tape scheduled to air on The Discovery Channel. Your segment would fall within a weather oriented show complimented by expert interviews. This is NOT a „Money Shots Only!‰ show. Ultimately, the emphasis within your segment would be Tropical Storm Faye and what is was capable of doing, NOT what you may have done to yourself.
The rest of the episode would consist of amazing weather related incidents such as tornados, hurricanes, and typhoons caught on tape produced with other first-hand accounts and expert interviews. In fact, we‚ve alrea dy interviewed a NOAA meteorologist that gave us an education on Tropical Storm Faye that would compliment your potential interview nicely.
At Discovery, we strive to educate our audience and we couldn‚t do that without explaining the entire story. We need to know ultimately why you kite surf, how it works, how safe it is normally, how your experience enhanced during abnormal weather, what went wrong this time, how are you still alive, what keeps you going back out, what advice you have for other kite surfers, etc.?
Again Kevin, Discovery is about knowledge and education. We are not interested in sensationalizing your accident, we want to learn from it. Feel free to call me or reply when you get a chance. I look forward to speaking with you and hope we can arrange an interview. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM

Go kevin! you have my support. i'm well versed in the discovery channel and can only believe they have the best intentions. Sensationism is not what Discovery is all about. I personally thought you were pretty stupid to go out in that crap, but then I did too a few years back --with a PASA instructor and another old fart who has been a waterman all his life. I came in terrified from that session, but much luckier than you without incident. i thought your interview sucked. yea it did. but you have a chance to make a difference on this one and i'm sure that you will. That was not you that jumped into the building was it? haha