FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Heading to Destin FL, need advice

Hey Guys,
I am heading to Destin FL for work from Jan-Jul 09 and wondering what the wind conditions are going to be like during those times. I have checked out the sticky about the locations around Destin/Fort Walton but have no idea what type size kites you guys fly and what the wind conditions are like?

Currently I am riding with an 8m/12m O.R. RISE, I also have a 135 board and a skim board.

I am wondering if I need to get a bigger kite, as I have heard the conditions can be light around the panhandle. Just looking for some advice and what the wind conditions and what kite sizes you guys use around the Destin area?

Is there a local shop in the area?

Thanks for all the help,
Justin
Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 PM

Justin,
We get good wind during the winter but tapers off starting in May. I recommend you contact Phil or Michael at XL Kites. They are the local shop and the most knowledgeable about the area.

you can contact them at www.xlkites.com or 850-598-3735.

Cheers,
Craig
Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Talking The Panhandle Rocks!!

Justin,

Your 8M and 12M kites will be great for the Jan-May timeframe. June can have decent seabreezes with most of us on 12s and 14s, with an occasional stronger puff. The Panhandle has Great wind, even though alot of people don't give us credit for it. Miles of uncrowded,open beaches, white sand, clear water, and friendly riders from Ft. Walton east to Panama City. Depending upon wind direction, you will have great spots on the bay and the gulf. XL Kites is in Ft. Walton, nice crew, great locations to ride. Here in Panama City, our local shop is Emerald Coast Kiteboarding. Most riding is on the Gulf, with trips to Shell Island by boat. In Destin, you will have gulf launches for E, SE, S, SW, and W winds. You will be here during the best time of year. Heck today, we were riding in 25-35kt conditions, big surf, then hit some flat water. If you have any other questions, call the shop: 850-235-2444. You can also check out all the launches at: www.pcbkitesurf.com Go to local info, then launches. Check out www.epickitesurfing.com for pictures of locals' riding in various spots along the coast. Look forward to riding with you!!
Linda
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks Graig and Linda, awesome info!

That is great news regarding my timing, hopefully I'll see you guys on the water.

Cheers Justin