FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 PM

ASM has been great here in Miami. It's nice to have a shop that stocks stuff you need. Especially when you don't have a couple days to get an on-line delivery. They also have never been short to lend a hand (or equipment) when in need.

Its been a while since Ive been a "Newbie" I think. But it sure is nice to have a shop with real people around to get advice. You dont get that advice when you hit the buy button for a 2005 Fuel for $100 on ebay.

I never got the impression that ASM would sell you a kite and send you on your way to break your balls or someone else's.

We have lost several good spots here in South Florida. Although I don't kite at your beach, the story is the same for all of us. Good luck on your access issues. It's good to have people so involved and show the community that we can be safe and still have fun with kites on the beach.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 AM
thebestkite

Default Oi

Hello Kent,

I am quite familiar with all the good things you have done in the all the areas of your watersports. Your pro active approach and working on rider sustainability has been a great benefit for all of us in South Florida.
A face to face meeting would not bring too many new things to the table. I am just a concerned rider at that location. From day one since we started there with Chris and Neil it has been continuously contested to kite there.
I may not have been at every public meeting, but I have met many lifeguard (and supervisors) and city commissioner(s) personally over the years when they came over to this beach (or their office) to have a look at the swimmers, sailors, outrigger canoers and kiters. It is a busy spot.

Since the concession of Neil closed we have a new kiter group who is proactive and very keen in keeping this location open. I hope that your company will vigorously explain to anyone the difficulties of this kitesurf beach.

Rick had a nice sketch of the beach access and entry/exit points of the water drawn up. Such a representation of that rendering in your store would be a great way to tell visitors and newbies what is expected from the city.

Thanks

Eric
Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 AM
thebestkite

Default this is the old kite zone pic

ftlaudksurfzone.jpeg

this I found as an old explanation of the layout of launch and riding area.
I think Chris created it

Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 09:09 AM

I think this is an important topic and I can completely understand the concerns about access in the Fort Lauderdale area. Just to be clear we have no intention of sending beginners to any of the local spots. We will be sending them to Matthesson Hammock Park to take lessons with a certified instructor.

We understand that access in the Ft. Lauderdale area is a real concern and we want to do anything we can to help preserve it.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi