FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Extreme Distance Races
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 PM

oh yea danny because you know so much about matheson.... but never the less good point about the staying away from shore. im sick of policing the place.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Is anyone else still sore this morning? Between the leisurely cruise on Saturday and hours of powered wave riding yesterday definitely feeling a bit stiff. Florida and lots of wind, who would have thought?!

Ian, you are right about gear selections for these distance runs. Kent was telling me about an experimental board he used on the St. Pete run. It was a miracle he finished much less coming in so quickly. What would you ride if you had to do it over again?

Hey Danny, people can be a trip. How many guys have been lofted into cars there at this point, three? Do the best you can and we may have to trust to luck for the rest. We may luck out, then again, we might not.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 AM

If I had to do it over again. I would have ate more than to small waffles and a redbull for breakfast. I am still sore in the right calf muscle. :?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 AM

Wasssaaapppp Ian! :P

are you still pulling those awesome dead man's ?

:twisted:
Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 AM
ruffridah89

I read an article in the Kiteboarding Mag where it mentioned Policing the kitebeaches. I read one of your quotes, and no one is going to accept the responsibility of being the bad guy in the end. Their luck may run out, or not!
-Danny
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
I read an article in the Kiteboarding Mag where it mentioned Policing the kitebeaches. I read one of your quotes, and no one is going to accept the responsibility of being the bad guy in the end. Their luck may run out, or not!
-Danny
The quote may have been taken out of context, imagine that! My point was that traditionally one or two people at a given launch worked to preserve access, i.e. the kite cops. In most cases these guys burned out at some point or another. Some even started to go to alternate launches where that role wasn't expected. So, the problem hasn't been folks accepting responsibility, it has been that too few have consistently stepped up to the plate.

It isn't fair to these lone rangers to carry our burden all the time. Preserving access is a group task, a bunch of guys will have more impact than just one frazzled and frustrated individual. So, pitch in!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-11-2006, 01:01 PM

I'm still sore, but walking....my right quad and my left foot....yeow!! Othewise I'm fine. I feel a lot better today but I got to say that I was crippled yesterday. I screwed up the start and couldn't clear the pier so had to tack back to starting line and try again...after third time and taking many crushing waves I got out and felt better. The guys in front of me (I started #5 at front) kept falling and crashing and it messed me up. I'm sure others toward back had same problem (but bigger) so I can't really complain. But I was twenty minutes behind the leaders at least and that was only about 1/2 mile into the race. Not a good way to start 60 miles. I was exhausted though and my camel pack was all wrapped around my neck/harness/whatever so i just cruised offshore for an hour or so recovering (and not gaining on anyone)... Then I stopped and after nearly drowning myself getting it sorted out and got going again....anyways:
I'm pissed at myself for not getting down in the shore break more and going fast. Instead i stayed too far offshore for too long and dealt with all that nasty chop....If I had a board leash and helmet and just stayed in the "froth" I would have easily knocked a lot of time off...But those two items (leash and helmet) are new to me and I'll have to go that way if I'm going to be confident close to shore.
At the Delray checkpoint I came in and picked off about 5 guys cause no-one seemed to know where to go. Fortunately I saw the Best flag and got in, cleared, and continued fast south. I stayed in-shore hauling a$$ and felt fine like that. Totally good!! The lifeguard stands loomed ahead and then I went back offshore again and stayed out too long. At least I finished and beat some people but I wan't proud of myself. It wasn't as crazy as the last run we did back in mid-november and back then I did stay in the break longer.
I promise myself that I am going to learn to stay closer to shore and deal with the breakers. Damien gave me some good points at Treasure Trove afterparty and I will follow his advice next time.
The 60 mile thing?? long way....I don't know if I'll be up for it again now that I've done it twice...but you never know!! This is such an awesome sport and I so fricking love it. I'll probably just keep trying to improve cause I've only been kiting for two years and I think I'll be doing it for a long time...so can't predict...anxious to see the actual results and times...
also...Thank You Neil for all your hard work!! also for making me feel like a hero at the finish!! I couldn't even ride goofy back to shore as my right leg (quad) was destroyed. I mean I made it but it wasn't pretty. Neil was nothing but high 5's and praise and it made all the pain worth it! Nice to meet Rick I as well and see some old friends who also were around coming from windsurfers to kites!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This just in from Neil:

" Just wanted to contact all of you and say thank you for your support and efforts last weekend, all of you make me proud to be a kiteboarder in Florida, we are leading the charge and the world is following us! I could not do it without all of you.

Sorry but there were a couple of mistakes in the results, this was my fault due to a small rain shower and my list getting wet and some ink running, I will correct them. I know Billy Blackman and Oliver B did much better than posted.

The pictures we have are amazing thanks to Gerry in the helicopter and Brian on the beach. I have not posted many yet due to me trying to get them into mags, if they are all over the net, mags will not print them, but more will be going up soon so keep tuned.

Thanks to all the sponsors that also made this possible and gave some great prizes.

Tiki Beach
Jupiter Kiteboarding
Brian Kovack Helicopters
Viking Surfboards
Transcend Clothing
Neil Pryde
Red Bull
Falcon Video Productions
fksa.org
Dakine
The Treasure Trove
Goslings Rum

Have been speaking closely with Jeff and Jazz from Falcon Video, they have been working super hard editing and are totally stoked on the footage they have of all of you. They are producing a DVD of the event, that will be for sale shortly to help cover their cost's and time, I will let you know when it is available and the cost when it is done. These guys rock, please try and support them.

Start thinking about building a race team in you area to represent city or college, I will start putting the criteria and rules in the next few days and hopefully by the end of this season we will have a state champion, looking to build a Florida State team.

As you know this was one of the qualifying events for the Bahamas Kite Race, if you had equipment failure or just a bad day don't worry as we will have more before selecting people for the Bahamas.

Once again thank all of you, we once again made history, stay tuned to our local fksa.org for more events and happenings.

Cheers Neil"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 AM

After reading Neil's post about a few results being a bit off, I thought that I would give Billy Blackman some props.

I had a pretty bad start of about 4 or 5 minutes after the horn and therefore was having to play catch up and push it fairly hard. About 7 miles into the race, I had pasted 5 or 6 riders and was feeling pretty good about my speed and being able to catch the leaders... when all of the sudden...

I look over my right shoulder and a kite came smoking by me to leeward at mach speed. I was like, "who the hell was that". It was Billy Blackman absolutely going turbo. I was doing about 27 mph (on the GPS that I eventually lost), but I bet Billy was doing well over 30 mph blasting by me. It was mentally crushing to be past by anyone going wizzng by that fast. A short while later I did see him trip on a wave, and I was able to eeeek past him, but this guy was rocking. After seeing his speed in the rough water, I wouldn't want to draw him in a boarder cross heat.

Good job Billy B.!