FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Damo At the ISAF Kiting Demo In Spain

Damien Leroy sent out this email report earlier today from the demonstration of kiting to the Olympic selection committee. Kiting is being considered for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil.

"Day 4-

As we walked down to the sailing center at about 8:30am for the morning meeting, the temperature outside was like I was back home in Florida! Blue skies and incredibly warm, A beautiful day! We sat down and spent a few hours in the meeting room talking about new course ideas and fine-tuning courses we had tried. Narrowing it down to three great courses. As the day was looking like there would be no wind we had a gear presentation at the sailing center for everyone to see and ask questions.

After lunch most of the boat classes headed out as the wind was blowing 6 knots. Mainly to put a show on for the president of ISAF who had just flew in to see the whole event. A few riders and our incredible kite crew of ISAF guys and IKA people got together and we went out to ride with the group of sailboats. It was quite an honor for me as I sat down on the boat with the president.

I explained our equipment in Kitesurfing, talked about racing and tackticks and shared my passion and love for our sport. A remarkable experience for me and a few other riders to have such a incredible experience. We raced a few fun races and headed home. I cannot tell you how great of a day this was for our sport and for myself. I am honored to have had this opportunity. Thank you to all the IKA guys, Gebi, Marcus, Bruno, everyone for making this happen. All the ISAF evaluators and everyone who has been helping Thank you. Lets see what happens now! Damo

--
Damien LeRoy
"2011 Slalom World Champion""

(All photos provided by Damien Leroy)

More news and photo from Damo in Spain at: http://www.damienleroy.com/site/

Way to go Damo and here's to kiting in the Olympics!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Damien just put up a GoPro video from the event, looking good!

More to come

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Another report from Damo ...

"ISAF KITEBOARDING OLYMPIC TRIALS WRAP UP!

Wednesday, 28 March 2012 15:00

As the Sailing evaluation came to a close in Santander, Spain there was nothing more than one thing on everyone’s mind. “Kiteboarding” The group of riders from all around the world went above and beyond for the ISAF committee and the sailing world and did an amazing job. Now it is in the hands of everyone out there in our sport. Go to your local sailing clubs and let them know we are here to stay. It is not a matter of if we get in to the Olympics it is WHEN? 2016? The impact we made is big let’s make a push worldwide in the sailing world and our sport. We don’t need to fight any boat or class for a medal we are so unique and exciting we proved in Spain, we are worth our own medal and it will happen. Have faith and believe…

Push to be in more ISAF events so we can be seen by the sailing world more. We have the answer for media and views for sailing in the Olympics.· Lets show them the hype we can create…·· Through Magazines, Videos, Articles, Racing, clubs you name it…. More Info at: http://www.internationalkiteboarding.org/

Mark my words! “We will be in 2016 in Rio representing kiteboarding” Lets get together and make this happen. Thank you ISAF!

Damo"

Still more information at:
http://www.damienleroy.com/site/

Ironically, this is the focus of a lot interest and development in kite racing, fins.

All photos provided by Damien Leroy

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.