FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 PM

Question 12 meter or 16 meter LF Assault

Hey guys... about to make a major purchase on a new kite. I've done my research and ready to make it happen now. I tried a 17 meter C kite and it was too much for me to hold down, and couldn't keep my edge to stay up wind. I normaly fly a 11 meter FUEL when the winds are cranking and love how it handles, turns, jumps!

But I need something for lighter winds and so I am trying to decide between a 12 meter or 16 meter Liquid Force ASSAULT bow kite. They say the 12 meter range for a 175 lb guy is from 10-30 knots and the 16 meter wind range is 7-25 knots. I am afraid the 16 will be too much to handle but I don't know. I fly at the skyway bridge all the time and it seems the winds are either very light or completely opposite and cranking above 25.

Looking for advice from anyone with experience on these kites or even just some experience on a 12 and the 16 meter bow kite.

Thanks.
Christopher Boykin (RKITEKT)
Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 AM

those ranges need to be taken w/ a huge grain of salt. Yes you can with the right experience and the right board use these kites in those ranges but you are most likely going to be out in the middle of the ranges.

i fly a 12m and 16m waroo. the gap between the two is pretty good. i'd say when I am getting overpowered on my 16 its time to go to the 12 and I am in its range.

the main thing to understand is that you are not going to find a single kite to cover all. I bet that you would find a lot more use out of a 14 to 16m kite than a 13 to 11m kite. but if you want to enjoy your time out on the water, you prob need to get both.

i'd recommend the larger kite first as it will get you out in moderate winds and thats the correct learning conditions.

with the 12 you would need more wind to get going .. which means you are nearing that range where its gets more difficult to learn and becomes a bit more work.

if you are more skilled than I am assuming then its really a toss up choice. one kite is not going to do everything for you..

i rode my waroo 12 all last spring in wind i didnt think it would even fly and i had a blast.. but i get a ton of use out of the 16m and it does hold down in some big winds.

i'd say get the 16 as i think you will use that the most and start saving for a smaller kite as well. a 3 kite quiver is really what you will need. the 3rd kite of course would be an 8 or 9m to get out when its nukin. probably dont need to invest in this until next season (or can get a good used deal over the summer)

hope this helps.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 AM

Thumbs up

If you are seriously considering the LF Assault 2, give Wayne a call at Emerald Coast Kiteboarding. They have had those kites for a while and have flown them several times. He might be able to give you some good insight in comparing different brands. I am loving the fact that I have switched from Cabrinha to Best! Never thought I would change until they had me demo several other kites and the Best was the BEST!!! The shop's number is (850)235-2444. Since you fly C's, you might be interested in the LF Havoc. That is a nice kite too. Good luck!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 AM

Get the 16M, you already have a smaller Fuel for those lighter days. You won't be sorry for rigging slightly powered up as become more experienced. The bow is also forgiving if your ever over-powered. You can fall back on the 11M if the wind picks up.

You will be sorry if you go out and dont have enough wind for that 12M and everyone else is riding. You'll then spend the money the next day for the larger kite and own a 12M that rarely gets used.

Good Luck,

Big G
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM

I would definitely try before you buy!

I am 175lbs and use my 15M Flexi Ion all the time. I actually wish it had a little bit more low end but with an Aggression Barn Door I usually can ride when other people are riding.

You should look at the Flexifoil Atom, Best Waroos and ask Scott for a go on his 15M RRD Hypertype. The Hyper has some great low end.

Don't get locked into a kite manufacturer based on the Hype. It's much better to give them all a try and see which you like the best.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:10 AM

If you are interested in sticking with C's, you are more than welcome to demo my Eclipse Thruster. Pull of a C and flies like a C with the depower and relaunchability of a flat kite...I'd try this kite before you buy if you really like C kites...just PM me and we can meet out at the beach sometime...
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 AM

I weigh 150lbs and have been riding for a while. I usually ride my 9m and 13m fuels, no flat kites.

My friend just got a 16m LF assault. I was flying it unhooked on the beach the other day in about 12 knots no problem. Hooked in it was easier, but what I'm trying to say is that you should get the 16meter. You won't regret it.

First time flying a bow kite, those bitches depower SO much...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Talking Thanks A Bunch!

WOW! You guys are awesome! Didn't expect so much feedback. VERY HELPFUL INDEED! Ok... back to work... I will comment more this evening. FLY FAST AND JUMP HIGH!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up Sounds like I need to get the 16

Brian,
Thanks man! Your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated. The man with all those frickin waroos (haha). I agree that I should get the 16 first... then maybe the 12 later. However, I am hoping my 11 fuel will cover my second kite in the quiver ( I love flying the fuel and I feel like a pro when I am on it, upwinding is a breeze for me on the 11 fuel and the jumps are killer! ) so I hope I can still get my kicks jumpin high with a bow kite. The ONLY reason I am going for a bow kite at this point is because of the higher wind range and depower-ability they seem to have. THIS DUDE LIKES TO JUMP LIKE A MAD MAN THOUGH! SO hopefully I am making the right decision.

Ok, I will later purchase an 8 or 9 for when it is crankin, like you said. Maybe I will try another brand for that high wind range, like the Eclipse. Thanks again bro.

CYA SOON
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Thumbs up U2cooltoby

Toby,
Thanks for the invite to fly your new Eclipse kite! ( And, uh, thanks for coming down and getting me when I ended up down near the rocks that time too bro! ) I blame that on that sloppy, draggin ass 15 meter Yarga I had. I never end up down there on my fuel. In fact, last weekend I flew my fuel and was upwind of everyone within 30 minutes.

As far as buying an eclipse right now... I already have store credit of 500 bucks at Real Kiteboarding so I have to buy what they have... and the best recommendation by them is the assault and it will only cost me another $300 smackaroos. So I am going for it. However, I may replace my fuel someday. Maybe the eclipse can pursuade me? Another screamer I was checking out was the Viper Kite. Ever heard of it? Well, I hope the wind blows soon man! WILL CALL YA when it does BRO!

PEACE OUT!