FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northeast Florida
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Default Flyin' to JAX 4/2...

I'm flying into Jacksonville tomorrow, April 2nd. How does the forecast look for wind this weekend?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Not real good for wind currently.

Friday...Southeast winds 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Inland waters becoming a light chop.

Friday Night...Southeast winds 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Inland waters mostly smooth.

Saturday...Southeast winds 10 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Inland waters a light chop.

Saturday Night...South winds 10 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Inland waters mostly smooth.

Sunday...Southeast winds 10 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Inland waters a light chop.

Sunday Night...South winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Inland waters a light chop.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ax&zmx=1&zmy=1

and on the land side;

"Friday: Sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming east between 5 and 8 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 53. East wind between 6 and 9 mph becoming calm.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming southeast between 5 and 8 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 55.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 84.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 57."
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ax&zmx=1&zmy=1

At least it looks a lot warmer than it has been!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks Rick, maybe next week it'll kick in? I'm there for 10 days total. Am I right that springtime is normally considered "in season"?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

More time may help. I suspect you will get some riding in. Trouble is, March, early April are usually great riding months. This year, it has been quite off. Hope you get some nice wind during your stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlu View Post
Thanks Rick, maybe next week it'll kick in? I'm there for 10 days total. Am I right that springtime is normally considered "in season"?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is a LONG drive but an interesting one, at least once you are in the Keys. They may be doing slightly better for wind this weekend than the mainland.

This Afternoon...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas beyond the reef 3 to 5 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef around 2 feet. Nearshore waters choppy.

Tonight...East winds 15 to 20 knots...decreasing to near 15 knots after midnight. Seas beyond the reef 4 to 6 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters choppy...becoming a moderate chop.

Saturday Through Sunday...East winds near 15 knots. Seas beyond the reef 3 to 5 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef around 2 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate chop.

Monday And Tuesday...East winds near 15 knots. Seas beyond the reef 3 to 5 feet...except higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef around 2 feet. Nearshore waters a moderate chop.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...fl&zmx=1&zmy=1

If you are thinking about the drive, I would frequently check recent forecasts and realtime winds as things can change. If you haven't been there, the Keys are worth seeing. Being doing it since the 1970's and still enjoy heading down there several times each year.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi