FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM

I gotta go with Steve-O on this, it comes down to common sense.

All down the west coast there are very few "Swim Zones" but alot of "No Wake Zones"

There is a difference but even if it is a no wake zone common sense tells us that if there are swimmers present not to run them over or try to pull a trick30 feet from them. My favorite is the tripple handlepass kiteloop to blind, which i haven't landed yet but won't try when swimmers are present!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Don't want to see you guys going through the common restrictions along portions of the SE coast. It could be almost snowing and blowing a solid 35 kts. on Ft. Lauderdale beach, but despite that kiters would have to stay beyond the buoys (100 yards offshore). I was having feuds with the Beach Patrol there over diving access decades ago as a kid. They take this stuff real seriously.

Sounds like things are more easy going in your area which is a great thing. Chad has given fair warning though. I just checked the ordinances, there is a swimming only zone off Clearwater Beach south of Somerset to the Jetty. Sounds like you guys know that anyway. Common sense in all things and few complaints should mean few to no new restrictions. It is such a great venue for long downwinders, even have reliable rides back via the trolley. Glad you guys are working to keep things going there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Rick,

Not only is there a "Swim Zone" To me its actually a deterrent because there are giant telephone poles spaced out about every 100 feet with big metal signs that say "Swim Zone".

Last thing I want to do is wrap my kite around a telephone pole that extends 20 feet into the air...Nor do I want to drop my kite and drift into one while trying to relaunch...
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
stpetesal

Default Jmt

Kiteboarder, beach, and water, responsibility ads up to the individual, (bottom line). JMT
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM

we've definetly got 2 different animals here....

What i'm referring to is the actual posted "SWIM AREA" on clearwater beach from somerset drive to the jetty marked by danny's beloved telephone poles LOL. It is the only year-round lifeguarded swim area from the hours of 9:30am to 4:30 pm 365 days a year. It's just better for everyone to stay clear of this area, even if it is 50 degrees and 30 knots.

Sand key park has seasonal lifeguards, and they should be respected while on duty. The rest of the coastline has the controversial "no wake" buoys about 100 yards offshore. I'll be the first one to admit riding close to shore in some of these areas, because there really isn't a rule keeping us out, if there was, no one is on duty to enforce it, and all it takes is some common sense to stay away from swimmers and surfers and you won't have any issues. Most of that coastline is residential, owned by rich snowbirds that are never around, and with the exception of the public accesses and small parks the water is empty.

Of course, this is redundant. We've all ridden these areas and know what the real deal is. The only spot i'm suggesting we pay more attention to is the guarded section of clearwater.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Well, is it illegal to ride in the swim zones and you may get fined for it if there is a single complaint.

I only know of 2 or 3 riders total who respect the swim zones.

We all risk riding in them now and then (me usually when it's nasty and I don't see any surfers or swimmers), but get too close and hit a surfer and expect to get tarred and feathered. Just ask one of our riders who found out the hard way. Also seen riders threatened with fines by the marine patrol and local beach police at Treasure Island and PAG.