FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM

Hatteras. Don't bother paying for an expensive vaca (in comparison to Hawaii). Cheap and the best place to go...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Truthfully, the best vacation is in our backyard. Tampa Bay, dw in The keys, St. Augustine, Miami, Panama City, and of course Hatteras . Gotta love the value and scenery of our own local spots eventhough I still havent been to Matanzas Inlet or Jupiter.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM

Toby,

Not trying to bicker here but think about Hatteras from a girls point of view that doesn't kite. Redneck Riviera ring a bell. He is trying to keep the girl happy and give himself some options as well. I completely understand where he is coming from. Doesn't the snorkeling suck in Hatteras? Call me an ass for saying this....but do you really read these post???

Hatteras is great....but my wife was be bored to tears....I took her there once....and she has no interest in going back. I think the highlight of her trip was the trip to the lighthouse.

Tell your girlfriend your thinking Hawaii.....now ya got her interest.....

I got tricks!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 PM

On to the subject at hand....

Been to Maui, Oahu, and Kauai.

Oahu was awesome once I got to the North Shore...but it is really designed for surfing....not kite surfing...so count that out.

Maui has incredible snorkeling, diving, drives, sightseeing (Road to Hana), a volcano (got to do the bike ride down the mountain) and of course one of the birthplaces of kiteboarding.....Kite Beach....it nukes there all summer....to my understanding a 9M is a big kite. Tons to do....your girlfriend will love it.

Kauai is the gem. For sheer beauty there is nothing like it on Earth IMO. You can spend days just driving and walking around and it doesn't get old.

If you only got a week, stay on one island.

Simply search cottages Maui or whatever island and you will find some killer places to stay. I would say you could get a good deal on a weekly rate.

I will try and dig up more info....sounds like you guys might be interested.

Lets PM from here on out or you can call me....would be happy to share what I can....727-542-8022

Late
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks everybody. I agree that Hatteras and places like the keys would be great, but Steve hit it right on the head. Gotta keep the lady happy. She's pretty easy going and understanding of my multiple hobbies, but if I don't make sure she's happy on our once a year vacation, she'll start to protest when we're back home and I want to kite, fly, or fish.
Steve-if when we finally decide where we're going and it's hawaii, I'll definitely PM you for some info. I appreciate the help. Right now we're between Hawaii and Barbados. Barbados is full of great stuff to do, and the people are awesome. We're hesitant on Hawaii ONLY because this year we can't go longer than 7 days and I know its like twelve hours of flying each way from here. Next year we'll both have 10 days off, so Hawaii may be a better idea next year, cause then we have extra days to offset the fying time.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Uh, all of the women in my family don't kite yet we have a family reunion there every year. You just need to look around and find things to do. The reason that probably didn't happen Steve-o is because you were so obsessed with kiting while you were there! There are wild horsesin Corona, there is jockeys ridge, the wright brothers memorial & hang gliding lessons in the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area, camping, several lighthouses to tour, Oregon Inlet if she would enjoy catching some Blue Marlin, Mahi-mahi, Tuna, etc on a charter boat for a day, you can visit the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge, there is golf if she is a golfer, visiting Okrakoke Island via the ferry, there is great shopping, and as for diving, http://www.allgetaways.com/view_dest...nid=XFA055-019

http://thecoastalexplorer.com/OuterB...89&intAdID=964

That is just what I could think of off of the top of my head.

No, you won't be in the tropics but who would expect to be in Hatteras? If you are going there with the expectation of having a lei put around your neck when you step on the island then you are being unrealistic. My family has been going there for 35+ years instead of to the Caribbean for just that reason, because there is something for everyone to do and it never gets old. So to answer your question, yes I read the post. Just because someone likes to snorkel doesn't mean they will never vacation in Alaska, the reason people vacation in different places is so that they are able to experience new and different things...

But if it is not for you and your wife then that is cool. If I was not mistaken, the title of this thread was "Vacation ideas?" and you were looking for IDEAS. That is all my first post was doing, throwing out an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
Toby,

Not trying to bicker here but think about Hatteras from a girls point of view that doesn't kite. Redneck Riviera ring a bell. He is trying to keep the girl happy and give himself some options as well. I completely understand where he is coming from. Doesn't the snorkeling suck in Hatteras? Call me an ass for saying this....but do you really read these post???

Hatteras is great....but my wife was be bored to tears....I took her there once....and she has no interest in going back. I think the highlight of her trip was the trip to the lighthouse.

Tell your girlfriend your thinking Hawaii.....now ya got her interest.....

I got tricks!!!!!

Last edited by toby wilson; 03-19-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 PM

Thanks Toby. I definitely appreciate it. I'd love to go to Hatteras, as well as The Keys and the East Coast like Brian suggested. Im this situation, the Carribean locale as already been brought up, so if there's no island life involved in this one, I'm in trouble..
Our last vacation was hiking in the Smokies, a world away from the Carribean or kiting. But I liked it a little more than her. So this year as a compromise definitely has to be a little more about what she wants. You know how it is; you gotta compromise on the small stuff now and then to keep em happy so they keep you happy.
I really appreciate all suggestions. PS- it wouldn't be a forum post with out some differing opinions
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 AM

Yeah bro, I had just posted and not been back on the forum yet. But when I'm accused of ignorance by someone who supposedly is sick of getting forum fu**ed, it struck a nerve as the attack was unprovoked and I was surprised by it. I can take a joke with the best of them but blatant insults where the person is admitting to being an @$$ are another story. Not cool.

So I was just defending my post and completely respect your preference my friend. Have fun!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM

Wow!!!

If that was considered at attack Toby, then I have been murdered many times over and I am back from the dead.

I am sorry you took my tone so personally. It wasn't meant to come across like that.

Life's too short man. Let's move on.

Don't do Hawaii if you only got 7 days.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Actually, the wild horses are located in Corolla (a/k/a Corolla Light), but there is kind of a pleasing poetic symbolism to "wild horses in Corona."

For the record, I'm with Toby....Hatteras is the best.....been there 5 times since July. Can't beat the open spaces, the wind and, of course, the Pub Ponies....