FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Default clearwater beach riding

ok guys, next time you do a downwinder past clearwater beach, at least PRETEND like you can see the swim area signs. Most of you probably know that i work out there full time as a lifeguard, and i can speak for all the guards when i say that we are watermen, and not police officers. Which is why, when its 50 degrees out and there isn't a single person swimming, you most likely haven't encountered much oppostion. (As though a whistle and a flag can really stop something) Today i saw a pretty close call between a kiter and swimmer that sounded a few whistles from my co worker. I pretty much know everyone personally that rides clearwater, but i didn't recognize this guy, and have seen some new faces out there lately, which is why i am posting this. In addition, there was another incident today where a kite crashed on the beach and the rider somehow got his lines wrapped around his ankle, and had to be cut free by one of the guards. I didn't see this happen, and it was described to me by a non-kiter, so details are of course a bit vague.

This post is NOT the result of some kind of THREAT, BAN or other B.S., and i don't wish to start forum drama with 13,000 views. I am in a unique position on this one, having a foot on both sides of the equation, and feel a bit obligated to nip this one in the a$$ before it even remotely smells like trouble.

The swim area poles have been moved seaward about 25 yards on the north end, so the outside sandbar is now within the swim area and those fun little peelers are now in-bounds. Surfing IS allowed on the north end basically from rockaway north, but there is no rule that i'm aware of for or against kiting. I will look into this more thoroughly. However, as we all know clearwater beach in general is often very crowded and leaves no room for rigging and launching unless you are north of somerset dr, which is out of the swim area anyways, and takes care of itself.

Lets just be the better crowd on this one and respect the boundaries (myself included) and not give anyone a reason to say or do anything. The beach patrol's supervision has been moved to the parks and rec department, which means we have new bosses, who have admittedly never been to clearwater beach. Some of these new faces have been making random, cameo appearances on the beach.

Let's not show them a slim chance- missed bar- crash with a kite on the beach right next to the pier.......please
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for posting Chad. Folks on your coast are extremely fortunate to have a lifeguard who also kites, take the trouble to give a heads up about a potential serious problem on the local forum. This in the interest of avoiding problems for kiters, other beach patrons or the guards. I am having trouble recalling another similar instance anywhere in the state in the eight years the FKA Internet sites have been around.

Thanks again for that. I've put up a couple of sat. images of the area Chad is describing. I thought kiting was banned along Clearwater Beach in general for some years, shows it isn't as bad as that, yet. I would say to follow what Chad is describing (he is with the authorities after all), and promote it among kiters particularly those at the beach and in the shops. Why not pull together, doesn't seem to be much room for descent for what he is suggesting, at least not from folks that want to keep us flying there.

The more heavily populated and restricted area to the south. Need to stay well beyond the swim buoys here. Also, launching and landing well to the north is recommended in less crowded areas, correct? It sounds like avoiding this area in general, at least anywhere near the buoys would be a good idea for now.

The area to the north with fewer issues as I understand it.

Particularly with a new administration in place, it seems a no brainer to work hard to avoid any repeats of a day of incidents like what Chad described. Stay out of the buoyed swim areas, would save a lot of problems statewide for kiters in many cases. Good luck and really appreciate your comments on here Chad.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-07-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Thanks Chad....well said.

Does this mean I can't give you the finger any more when I ride by???
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM

I would be upset too if I saw a bunch of kiters rip down the coast and all I could do was watch.

Your right Chad, kiters do not belong inside the swim zone.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Thanks Chad for reminding all the downwind riders that the beaches are getting crowded !!! And we must stay outside the swim areas... Please let this be the last time this season we hear of the crew inside the swim area ... LEAD BY EXAMPLE !!!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Spoke with one of the riders today on the downwinder with the kite issue.

It sounds to me like it was a situation with an out of control kite. The rider had lost control of the kite and got wrapped in the lines somehow which sent the kite spinning out of control on a course toward the beach. Once at the beach, he just wanted the tangled kite off of him. Luckily, one of the lifeguard responded appropiately and cut the lines. I am sure Chad had something to do with prep. in this situation. Thanks Chad for additional lifeguard training on how to handle problems out there.

It doesn't sound to me like this was a blatant act of kiting inside the swim zones, but a actual rescue situation with a kiter in trouble. Good job to all to prevent any kind of injury.

With the kiter in question, a look should be done on going out in conditions beyond your ability. It seems that the other riders questioned your ability to be out there. With that said they can keep an eye on you but only do so much. Feel lucky that this happened within the vicinity of trained lifeguards and could cut you free. You may have not been so lucky and would have taken some time to disolve the situation.

Keep in mind, the only person that truly knows what happened was the person tangled. Maybe he can speak up.

I do see alot of people that get into the Gulf on some of the heavier days and are not quite ready. The best form of kiting safety is prevention and knowing your limits.

Great reminder to all about swim zones and kiting safely. A great use of this forum.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 PM

yeah, it does suck to just watch you all go by, by the way i see it, one has to have a job to pay the bills. And since pro kiteboarding doesn't seem to be in my future, i'll take the next best thing i can find. Spending 40 hours a week on the beach, training and getting wet everyday, sneaking in a surf session (this morning was nice) and helping people out, even though most of them don't deserve it, and getting paid for it all suits me pretty well!!

I'm glad to see that the tone and point of my post was taken as I intended. This hasn't really even become an issue yet, but all the ingredients are on the table and it wouldn't take much to start the roast. We (lifeguards) don't enjoy telling someone that they CAN'T do something, but at the same time, our reason for being does have to be justified in the eyes of city budget- choppers. And we definetly don't need to get off on the wrong foot with some new supervisor snooping around on a beach he knows nothing about.

None of the other guards kite, but they all respect the sport and are impressed with some of our local talent that rides by. 30 foot Mega loops are still sick 50 yards further away!!! and just so you know, the girls that you were trying to impress are probably only 14. However, due to the hormones pumped into the mcdonald's chicken they've been eating, their looks can be decieving. This phenomenon is much more frustrating than watching you guys throw down while i'm at work......

Thanks rick for the support and your research on posting those images. I think we have a pretty tight group on this end of the county, and a friendly reminder is all we need. Ride safe fellas, i'll see you on the water
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the reminder Chad about staying out of the buoyed swim areas and crowded launches. With enough guys acting on this and promoting it to other kiters, this may never become a serious problem. Riding inside buoyed areas has cost riders more grief and lost access than anything else that comes to mind in parts of South Florida.

Glad you are providing kiting orientations for your fellow guards. We put together a powerpoint presentation for the recent USLA meeting in Cocoa Beach to help in that process. It needs to be narrated by someone who knows kiting and some of the issues guards face of course. If you want to take a look at it and perhaps use it, it can be downloaded by clicking on:
http://fksa.org/docs/USLA%20Presenta...%20Version.ppt

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-09-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM

It seems to me that one of the best ways to get the message out about staying outside of the swim zones would be to take advantage of events on the beach, such as the kitemasters race, and point out the importance of staying outside the swim zones.
That race had 100 riders there listening.

During the last race, were riders told to stay outside of the swim zones or that they would get DQ'd? Was the message of how important respecting the swim zones is driven home?
Or did several riders go 30 knots/hr from Sand Key to SPB just ten yards from shore?

I am not knocking the riders who did this, or the race committee, because I consistently ride in the swim zones these days myself (along with a majority of SPB riders).
But, I am saying that if this stuff is really that important, there are ways to get that point across more effectively, especially during event functions along the Gulf.

To do the opposite and not stress it at a race, imo, pretty much shows no one cares - because that is the "real world" or actual practice in real life... not just an idealistic post.

If a rider participated in that event and saw people riding within the swim zones down the whole stretch of a long race, why wouldn't the rider practice that behavior after the event at the beach as well?

Not knocking Chris Moore or anyone, just pointing out what I think is obvious - that if the community really believes this "stay out the swim zone" stuff is important, it should probably be practiced, especially at events, not just given lip service on a forum.

I would imagine that an out of towner (if they were not told otherwise) in that race, the next time they came here, would ride as much as he wanted in the swim zones. After all, that is what he saw occur with his eyes.

I know it has directly effected myself and my decision to ride in the SZs.
I have read so much lip service on here from guys who claim to ride outside, only to see them ride in the very next day, that I just figured "screw it.. the waves are in there and I too am gonna have some fun".

Maybe such language and rules were stressed at the event and I am unaware. I don't do downwind races, so I wasn't there.
But, I didn't see anything in the rules about staying outside the SZs and heard quite a few were ripping really close to shore.

If that is indeed the case, it seems to me that guys going mach 2 that close to shore pose a much larger threat so someone in the water than me attempting to surf a wave going less than 12 knots.

Just some thoughts for discussion that might affect the wording and practice of future races in this area.

Again, I personally don't care too much about the swim zone stuff in the SPB area anymore.
I don't ride CLW and don't know the area.
But, if you guys are concerned about beach access and SZs, maybe the events should have stronger language and actions toward staying out of the swim zones. The events and what happens at them matter 100 times more than a forum post, imo.

And yep you guessed it, this is Scott.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM

I think your points are well taken by all, however, it all comes down to common sense and conditions.

As Chad stated, when its howling and cold, and no ones in the water, even the lifeguards of Clearwater realize that being inside the swim zone is not really effecting anyone. I have been told by lifeguards and park officials at Sand Key for example, that when its howling and nasty...have at it. And you know what, there are no swimmers in the water. Just a few surfers and I am always careful to give them space and not feel threatened. I too surf.

However, if it is gorgeous spring day, and a light breeze, that is an entirely different scenerio. Many folks will be in the water, and a wiser kiter should keep a safe distance. The other day I was getting whistled at Sand Key by a lifeguard and I was clearly outside the swim area. Its all good Mr. Lifeguard, I just kept going. You are doing your job.

I think in the race, if the conditions were of the latter, mention would have been made about swim zones and steering clear of water users. However, the conditions were nasty and cold and I for one only ran across 2 surfers along the entire route. I was actually surprised I didn't see more. Didn't see anyone else in the water. Not one swimmer and not to many on the beach for that matter.

Just to be clear, there are swim zones and no wake zones, and they are different IMO. Either way, care should be taken when riding the gulf and keeping a safe distance from swimmers and anyone else in the water wherever your riding.

For what it is worth, I felt more in jeopardy with the close proximity of other kiters out there than anything during the race. That was the first time in kiting, I didn't feel in control of the situation.

I can't speak for Chris, but if the weather conditions were bringing out the spring breakers, I am sure he would have mentioned something in the captains meeting. I am sure some boundaries would have been set. I support Chris' decision to leave it alone as it is a race, and a beautiful one at that.

And yes, this is Steve-O bringing another viewpoint to a touchy topic.