FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Default bahamas trip??

next year i will be going to FAU in boca Raton, and i would want to be doing some long weekend kite trips every so often. i was hoping for some really cheap ways to/from any of the best spots in the bahamas, also any camping locations cuz id prolly brink just my kite stuff and a tent. any info on cheap ways? thanks -Ross
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 AM

Default bahamas

theres nothing cheap in the bahamas, look at road trips to the keys for quick easy vacations.

you might be able to find someone overthere to set you up, good luck.
________
How to roll a joint

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM

well i know nothing is cheap, but arent there some ferry's from miami area for around $120? i would be expecting to pay like 150 total.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Only way to get here is by plane. You can go from Island to island via Ferry from Nassau (capital) or my mailboat from island to island. Once you are on one of the family islands, food and lodging are cheaper, and there are reasonable hotels on Nassau, and we have several good areas to kite. Give Aj (mocean) a hail, he can hook you up.

I wouldnt be camping on any beaches, there are no "camp grounds", so unless your gonna live salty, there are no public showers, bathrooms ets in nearly all the islands. Spend a few buck and stay in a hotel
07 Best Spark 139
08 Cross-Shore 142
09 Nobile NHP 137
Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Ross,

Curious to see what AJ comes up with. Back in the day, 30 years ago, camping in the Bahamas may not have been that uncommon particularly on some of the out islands. Today, I think the practice may be frowned upon. Formally, I think it may even be required to have both a place to stay and booked flight out of the country. Best bet to save up for the odd trip over the to Bahamas. Pick your venue and weather well for what you want to do, kiting, diving, etc.. For less costly trips there is quite a bit of rideable coastline in Florida and lots of KOA campgrounds. The state parks with camping may be nicer but are often booked far ahead. Some areas up the coast are less strict I understand.

What are you pursuing at FAU? Went through there a few times myself.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Can't Re-member

The only camping I have ever been able to do in the Bahamas was by renting myself a boat for the day and finding an isolated beach. But then the $125 a day rental fee kinda defeats the purpose. Your GPS is an essential item, take it
Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM

im planning on going there for mechanical engineering, but if its too much to handle i might try to switch majors, i really want FAU because its location near miami and the keys and hopefully some good year round wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Hey Ross,

Curious to see what AJ comes up with. Back in the day, 30 years ago, camping in the Bahamas may not have been that uncommon particularly on some of the out islands. Today, I think the practice may be frowned upon. Formally, I think it may even be required to have both a place to stay and booked flight out of the country. Best bet to save up for the odd trip over the to Bahamas. Pick your venue and weather well for what you want to do, kiting, diving, etc.. For less costly trips there is quite a bit of rideable coastline in Florida and lots of KOA campgrounds. The state parks with camping may be nicer but are often booked far ahead. Some areas up the coast are less strict I understand.

What are you pursuing at FAU? Went through there a few times myself.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is a good location for interesting stuff to do locally and up and down the coast. The Delray launch is just up the road, along with Jupiter and Ft. Pierce with some nice wave kiting. As you say Miami and the Keys aren't too far away to the south either. Went through FAU for OE and EE, best of luck with your ME program.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi