FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Flaccid Member

Default Make sure you have a release on your Leash

I saw some bad stuff today, and would like to remind everyone that leashes without releases are a death trap. Also make sure the release is on the part of the leash that is close to you, not your bar. That was what I thaught the problem was today. I saw what was probably a bridle break turn death loop. Rider could not get to his leash release since it was towards his bar (**turned out this was not why he could not reach it**). Miracle kept him for getting hurt/Killed. Just something to think about when you are checking out your setup!

Last edited by Wolfie; 03-01-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM

glad the rider is ok.

ive never seen a leash that had the release towards the bar end.. very very odd..

i know that a quality leash w/ easy to use and reload release are only $20.00..

also my harness has a release at the leash connector (OR Session Harness)..
tho the reload of the harness release is a MAJOR pain..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Bryan,

I don't think the leash was made with the release toward the bar, I think the person probably had it on backwards though...

Its very easy to get excited about riding and set your gear up on a whim and forget to attach something correctly...I'm guilty of it myself on at least one occasion.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:44 AM

Attachment 481

This works on a SB2 and SB 3 for sure. Try it on your swithblades. I know it won't work for the hard core handle passers but for the everyday rider doing jumps and beginners this is the ticket.

If you push the release on the kite the leash will have your kite by the front lines and it will behave just like the John Modica video. It will just fall and be tame. It will not twist out of control as it will if you are hooked onto the outside line ring they provide. You can then pull your leash in and rehook up and relaunch the kite. If you get into a situation where you are over powered you can just pull in on your lease to render the kite unpowered to what ever degee you need based on how far you pull in on the leash. You can land you kite by yourself and hook your leash to a solid object and the kite will just sit there while you make your way up the front lines to it.

If a line breaks or a major mishap takes place you can release the kite first see if that gets you out of touble, and if needed the leash release is right there next to the first release (and works just like the first release) you can use either hand. Set it up and go out to a shallow palce away from the beach and try it a bunch of times. I don't know why this is not in the book as the place to hookup too, but after watching the self landing video that John posted I went out and tried it in wind up to 30kts and it worked great multipul times. Enjoy the power of the wind.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:42 PM
<jason

Question waroo bar?

Do u think that would work on a waroo bar...?
Seems all the same...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the leash attachment tip Whitey,

I've always followed the Cabrinha directions by attaching my leash BETWEEN the QR and the bar. But the other day my center line snapped (not the chicken loop, but the line inside the black tubing) and I was no longer attached to the kite. Just holding on to the bar.

Your choice of leash attachment would have worked much better! I'm hooking in there next time!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Tom Stock

How do you spin your bar after a backroll?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
How do you spin your bar after a backroll?
frontroll......
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal8199 View Post
Bryan,

I don't think the leash was made with the release toward the bar, I think the person probably had it on backwards though...

Its very easy to get excited about riding and set your gear up on a whim and forget to attach something correctly...I'm guilty of it myself on at least one occasion.
Hey mate...not sure I know you either, but you obviously imply something here that is WILDLY INACCURATE. The gear was not set up "on a whim", nor was it "on backwards". Give me a break already.

The leash was properly attached to the Mystic Harness Quick Release Handle Pass system. This system serves as your QR system AT THE HARNESS.

What is it with you guys?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Hey coach, I don't know you, but why don't you take a look at Wolfies first post and Bryans post, mate, before you try to call me out on the forum.

He is the one that said it. I had no idea what incident he was talking about, only commenting on HIS post, his exact words.

"What is it with you guys?" This is a forum bro, I can say anything I want, its a place for discussion. I wasn't ripping anyone. Obviously everyone, including myself was glad that you were ok. But i'm not here to kiss anyones a$$.

I didn't comment on your other thread if you didn't notice, and had no idea the two were related at the time of the comment.

I'm NOT appologizing for my comments though.

I simply stated that it is easy to set your gear up wrong, is that not a true statement? (It is)

FYI, I also ride a mystic warrior waist harness, I have 3 points of release on my setup, QR for the kite, the handle pass QR, and the QR on my leash.

I am familiar with that system.