FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Default Delray in december

I'm going to be in Delray the 17-22nd of December. I'm wondering what to bring for a wetsuit I have a 2/1 top or a full 4/3. Also do i bring the CB 13m or the SB 10m. Unfortunately I don't have room for both. My son has all is LAX gear and can't fit another kite. Lastly, I'm looking for an instructor... in the area for some beginner to intermediate lessons. Any ideas? Thanks

DD
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDeuce View Post
I'm going to be in Delray the 17-22nd of December. I'm wondering what to bring for a wetsuit I have a 2/1 top or a full 4/3. Also do i bring the CB 13m or the SB 10m. Unfortunately I don't have room for both. My son has all is LAX gear and can't fit another kite. Lastly, I'm looking for an instructor... in the area for some beginner to intermediate lessons. Any ideas? Thanks

DD

If you like to go out for long, you may want the 4/3 a 3/2 might be more ideal. If the weather is warm, you may be a bit toasty in the 4/3. If a real strong cold front comes through the 4/3 might be just the ticket with the 2/1 leaving you cold. Some guys go out with just a rash guard but the sessions may be fairly short in some cases. I usually wear a full 3/2 until sometime in spring at this point barring real cold fronts then the 4/3 goes on.

How much do you weigh Doc and what is your comfortable wind range with the two kites? Usually, I would say to bring both and a smaller kite as well. Without enough room, it may come down to your comfortable low end on the 10 m and high end on the 13 m I think. Of course Delray is a wave spot, requiring a bit more kite power than a flat water venue.

Regarding instructors, there are quite a few listed at:

http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply Rick. I weigh around 200 -205 usually pending a big dinner or not. If its real big waves in delray I may take a road trip down to the keys for one of the days, maybe Islmorada. I learned in small east coast waves, so maybe the flat water down there would be better. If i do that I'll just bring my 2/1 top and boardshorts. Thanks for the info. Cheers

DD
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It really is a function of what is blowing through. If it is a particularly powerful cold front and it goes for a few days, you can get some large seas. Usually though it is around head high or less. The 13 m may serve again, unless something stronger blows through, then it would be better for your 10. It is so hard to say in advance. It is warmer in the Keys still, I about froze my butt off there in a 4/3 some years back in a particularly nippy cold front. If the wind is out of the SE or E, it is usually warmer than if it is from a northerly direction, in the Keys and in Delray. I would plan on a road trip regardless to see more of what South Florida has to offer. Hope you have good weather for your visit.

Here's an old write up on Key West:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=468

and an interesting video from KW and the lower Keys:

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi