FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 AM

We all get a little lazy when it comes to pinching of our struts, kiting in knee deep water most of the time doesn't help.
One thing I do in my lessons is to show three methods of self rescue.
Standard- grabbing the bridle line and a wingtip. Each kite has different grab points, but generally its where you connect your front flying line on a bridled kite. Longer bridles sometimes requires grabbing it at the first "V" in the bridle system.

Raft Method- Assuming you pinched off the struts before your kite deflated, roll the kite into a raft and secure with lines, leash or whatever you have. This works in offshore winds.

Offshore/ Upwind method- If kite is not deflated, climb onto kite and extend legs down center strut. You can hang upper body over leading edge and overhand swim back upwind to your board, or back to shore in offshore conditions. This method works great and keeps you more visible to rescue vessels.
There are pics and detailed explanation on my lesson site at:
http://kiteboardingtampabay.com/inde...111&Itemid=101

Within the next month, we plan a cookout, cleanup, and safety clinic at East Beach and I will be happy to show these techniques. This will also allow kiters as a group to log some service hours at the park. Little things like this is what makes the best impression on park officials, and they are surely grateful for the help.
See ya then!
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Good job guys and very good information that's for sure. Having been the Rescuee USCG it's much harder to find a person in the water than a large object. From the air a human head is like finding a Basketball on a large body of water. Staying with the kite is the best option because you can see that from the air and as uchuche points out all is so very true. I agree with all that if you can isolate each bladder so at least they all don't deflate the better off you are. I would also keep the board close by at least with that you can wave it around and use it to signal someone. I wouldn't tie the kite to me but tie it to the board and then try to blow up the smallest bladders first to try to get some floatation. One other thing that might be good is carry a whistle so if you do get into a situation you can signal someone they are small and they make alot of noise the small orange ones are great because it's all plastic and the ball is plastic or cork so no real maintenace. I think the key thing in this situation was everyone looking out for each other and that is commendable too all involved. Well done indeed! Warm Winds! Never leave the boat Chief! Mike