FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Rider Resources
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Beginner's Spots S Florida

Hi All,

I just found out I'm definitley moving to south florida in mid-December. I want to know where a beginner can kite down there. I just started and am doing OK for now . I am up on the board for short little rides and can control the kite but, everything I read is about intermediate spots. Where do beginners go to get some practice in?

Thanks!

Amie
Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM

South Florida is quite a big area. Where are you moving to? Miami, Naples, Key West :?:
Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Hi Noel,

I'm moving to the Miami area. Currently, I drive over an hour for the best beginners spot up here in Cleveland. I am willing to do the same or more down there until I'm a "skilled" rider.

Thanks for any input you provide!!!!

Amie
Old 08-07-2009, 08:06 AM

parcinskia,

There are plenty of spots for you to learn living in Miami. In Miami there are Crandon and Mathison Hammock. To the north @ 20 min. is Delray Beach. To the south @ 1 1/2 hrs. is the Keys. There you can check out Anne's Beach and Curry Hammock State Park. If the wind is from the NW, you need only drive @1 1/2 - 2 hrs. west to Naples. All of south Florida have some of the best flat water in the country.

Hope this helps.

Noel
www.othersideboardsports.com
Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It would be great to stop east coast riders from adding to congestion and access concerns on the SW coast when good westerly winds are on. The flats of Miami offer better flat water conditions in my opinion for east coast locals and without any real road trip. You do need to take a sea taxi ride but it is worth it. Of course the same could be said about most of Florida Bay from the Keys, need a boat there as well. Noel, are you folks still running a boat for kiters to the "otherside" in Florida Bay for good westerly frontal winds?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Yes we still do the run outback to the bay side of the keys when the fronts come thru. I did how ever forget about the taxi to the flats off Miami. Probably the best option as Mathison Hammock can get very crowded.

Noel
www.othersideboardsports.com
Old 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the input guys! I spent so much time looking around and I saw all these awful posts about beginners not welcome here, there, and everywhere.

Noel, I will be giving you guys a buzz for sure cuz I'm dying to get down to Islamorada. I have a pic taped to my cubicle from the Islamorada Invitational. It looks like you guys have a sick spot.

Rick, thanks for the info on the flats. I will water taxi a few times for sure to get the lay of the land and practice! So excited to get down there in the winter!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM

How much does the water taxi to the Miami flats cost, BTW?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
It would be great to stop east coast riders from adding to congestion and access concerns on the SW coast when good westerly winds are on.
Rick,

I want to forget you made a statement like this. "Great to stop East coast riders from adding to congestion and access concerns"?

Listen. The waters of Florida are for everyone. Matter of fact so is any other place in the country and most parts of the world. You dont think during honkin east winds riders from west coast come down to the Keys. To Crandon. To Hobie. To Delray. To Pompano. To FT Laudrdale. ARe there any access issues in those places?

In my book. Anyone is welcome from any part of the world. Yes they should follow rules. As we should follow rules in our own local spots. We are a community.

You surprised me Rick.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Do you realize how small the sheltered riding area is that is open to kiters at Marco Island? It's a postage stamp. For years, riders have abused privileges there annoying park rangers and residents alike. Not everyone, just enough riders to create problems for us. There have been local problem riders and quite a few from the east coast. Been trying to help manage this for many years from this coast. You know about this of course, I am sure as hell not making it up.

Ok, now consider the size of the Miami Flats. It is shallow, warm, close by and the wind shadow 6 miles out from land in westerly winds is minimal. Also, there's 50 square miles or more of potential riding area, like you need that much. When a strong wind is on, you might be in a wind destination in the Caribbean. Why don't more people go there in strong westerly winds? The conditions are ideal, far better than they can find in a small, congested and threatened riding area on the SW coast.

We are a community, given the amount of time some of us are spending in trying to preserve access, (I'm well over 40 hours in the last couple of months all over SE Florida), we need to act like a self-preserving and sustaining community. Marco is a small place, too small in many respects. Naples lacks much sheltered water, has a fair amount of chop, a narrow congested beach in tourist months too. Guys in SE Florida have far better conditions close to home but you need to take a boat there. We also have lots of access issues right here of course. If more guys would get off these tight, congested launches and out into the flats, that would bring relief to threatened access right here at home. If they like flat water, they would likely have better sessions too with fewer hassles.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-07-2009 at 10:02 PM.