FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Default NewB looking for another rider.

I'm new to the sport and I want to find some people to ride with. I've spent a lot of time at the local beach here in Jupiter watching the riders and flying a trainer kite. I want to get into the sport but it seems a little to crowded at the local spot here. I would like to meet other locals who are new to the sport and want to ride at some of the not so popular beachs. I've been surfing since I was young and am a strong swimmer. I just recently purchased all the gear so I'm ready to go. I just need to put it all together with the board and the kite. I've only been in the water doing body drags and just learning the kite.

I work one of those m-f 9 to 5's but weekends and after work I'm game. I have a jet ski to hit the intercoastal if someone else wants to learn on the flat water. I'm willing to take whatever advise you got for a neewb.

Hit me up on the fourm or 561-972-1333 if you got some time and want to hit up some of the not so crowded spots. At least until I get some of the basic skills down I want to stay out of the way. I'm in Jupiter and I work in Stuart. I'm not trying to get killed here so make sure you got some basic water skills and had a couple lessons if you want to do this.

Eric
Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Eric, you've had some quality pro kiteboarding lessons yourself?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM

The best thing you can do at this point it hit up a nice Flatwater spot with some lessons. You will waste so many windy days trying to get everything figured out on your own, as well as risk injuring yourself or others. I would suggest going to Tampa, Miami, or the Keys to learn. Spending 3 hours with an instructor at one of these areas will substantially increase your learning curve and get you to really understand the safety aspect of the sport and make sure your gear is set up right. These areas have shallow flat water to learn on. Waves make learning 10x more difficult. So rather than spend 20 days learning to ride up wind and not having fun, spend 3 hours that will get your riding upwind with a few more hours of practice. Also be careful about intercoastal areas, even for advanced riders these can be VERY VERY tough and dangerous to ride, even the little bit of land around can lead to vary gusty winds, also you have boaters and currents. The flat water may make it a tempting spot to learn, but the crazy wind and currents will lead to a very tough time.

I would recommend,

Miami - Miami Kiteboarding - http://www.miamikiteboarding.com/ 305-345-9974
This is where a teach part time, They have the best spot in Miami. There is a huge shallow flat teaching area and the use the latest gear.

Tampa - http://www.facebook.com/TritonKiteboarding
Great Crew, with again some great flat water to learn at.

Otherside Boardsports - http://www.othersideboardsports.com/ 305-853-9728
Again Great Crew, Flat water for any wind direction.

Miami Kiteboarding is the only group listed I am affiliated with, the others are spots I like to drive to and ride and first class operations I have seen there.

Any of these places will get you up and riding and enjoying kiteboarding in no time.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Default Thanks!

This is exactly the information I was looking for. To answer the first question I bought some kite gear from a shop and received a free lesson. So yes I have had a professional instruction but you can't really get it all in just a couple hours. I got the basics, wind window, power-depower, eject, rescue. I got the kite up and got through doing body drags. I've been a couple times since and did the same thing just trying to build my confidence with Kite control in the water. I also have not had a successful water relaunch due to rough surf and being in the breakers when the kite went down. I got the idea though.

I am interested in the kite lessons in Miami. That looks like exactly the kind of spot I need to learn. I have all my gear so I think I'm going to give the school a call on the next day it's blowing enough to get up. I have a 15 meter kite so I don't think I will be needing much. I'm also 6'7 215lbs so that's what I was instructed to buy here by a local rider. That's besides the point, I'm glad I posted. Hope to see you soon. I don't know if you get commission as an instructor but if you want to give me a call or have me drop your name I'll be more than happy to. How much notice do I need to sign up? If it's blowing hard enough tomorrow I would be up to take a ride down there.

Thanks again for all your feedback! Seems knowledge is the key to safety with this sport.