FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default A BUZZARD ATE MY KITE

... and other wind blown phantasms from the Land of Nod.

I am not into dream interpretation, in fact these days I rarely even remember plays out in them. Last weekend though there was a particularly memorable hallucination that stuck until waking.

The Scene ...

Somewhere in the Caribbean on the shore of a island with rolling terrain. The sun is up and the wind is LIGHT (naturally, and maybe this is to be a kitemare, nightmare). I was riding only to have the lull monster stall it and send it to the water. The setting shifted slightly placing me onshore. I launched, the wind ebbed, the kite slid down the wind window to settle to earth on some uneven terrain.

and ...

So, as I am winding my lines up I approach a small cliff. The lines slide off this rampart and dissappear below. I pull the lines and they PULLED BACK! I pulled again and up popped this little buzzard with my line down his gullet. He looked a mite peavish and not in a mood to give up what he swallowed.

So ... I pull again and can feel something rise and then be gulped back down. No way am I going to be out manuvered by a buzzard so I gave it a really good yank. Out pops this bone snagged on the kite line. The line must have fallen over a carcass in the uneven terrain, this lure teased the buzzard into action and down the lot went. Its a dream so don't bother trying to explain what happened to the kite, it just played out this way.

and then ...

The little buzzard was really pissed now and charged trying to gain back its femur or whatever it was. I lightly kicked him and over the cliff he went. This wasn't buzzard abuse but more self defense so don't sick the SPCA on me. The little goomer came charging right back at me to be bopped off again. I was thinking damn, I've got buzzard musk on my foot and this little dude was not going to leave me alone.

and then ...

The alarm went off. Saved by the bell yet again.

I have long admired buzzards from hang gliding. Unlike what Bugs Bunny Cartoons would have you believe, buzzards are actually fairly frivolous critters. You will see them thermalling and soaring most days under the pretext of scavenging for road kill. Other birds and some windriders observe the 20 mph rule, when winds hit 20 mph off they go to play. Buzzards are happy screwing around in lessor winds. When I was hang gliding I was fond of saying "girl buzzards just wanna have fun" after Cyndi Lauper.

You could see a stack of them coring thermals up to cloud base and above and thinking, man it would be good to be up there. Down here you may not soar with eagles, very often, but it is fairly easy to thermal with buzzards. They can thermal very nicely too.

Watch those lulls, stalling kites and BUZZARDS!!!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default A BUZZARD ATE MY KITE

... and other wind blown phantasms from the Land of Nod.

I am not into dream interpretation, in fact these days I rarely even remember plays out in them. Last weekend though there was a particularly memorable hallucination that stuck until waking.

The Scene ...

Somewhere in the Caribbean on the shore of a island with rolling terrain. The sun is up and the wind is LIGHT (naturally, and maybe this is to be a kitemare, nightmare). I was riding only to have the lull monster stall it and send it to the water. The setting shifted slightly placing me onshore. I launched, the wind ebbed, the kite slid down the wind window to settle to earth on some uneven terrain.

and ...

So, as I am winding my lines up I approach a small cliff. The lines slide off this rampart and dissappear below. I pull the lines and they PULLED BACK! I pulled again and up popped this little buzzard with my line down his gullet. He looked a mite peavish and not in a mood to give up what he swallowed.

So ... I pull again and can feel something rise and then be gulped back down. No way am I going to be out manuvered by a buzzard so I gave it a really good yank. Out pops this bone snagged on the kite line. The line must have fallen over a carcass in the uneven terrain, this lure teased the buzzard into action and down the lot went. Its a dream so don't bother trying to explain what happened to the kite, it just played out this way.

and then ...

The little buzzard was really pissed now and charged trying to gain back its femur or whatever it was. I lightly kicked him and over the cliff he went. This wasn't buzzard abuse but more self defense so don't sick the SPCA on me. The little goomer came charging right back at me to be bopped off again. I was thinking damn, I've got buzzard musk on my foot and this little dude was not going to leave me alone.

and then ...

The alarm went off. Saved by the bell yet again.

I have long admired buzzards from hang gliding. Unlike what Bugs Bunny Cartoons would have you believe, buzzards are actually fairly frivolous critters. You will see them thermalling and soaring most days under the pretext of scavenging for road kill. Other birds and some windriders observe the 20 mph rule, when winds hit 20 mph off they go to play. Buzzards are happy screwing around in lessor winds. When I was hang gliding I was fond of saying "girl buzzards just wanna have fun" after Cyndi Lauper.

You could see a stack of them coring thermals up to cloud base and above and thinking, man it would be good to be up there. Down here you may not soar with eagles, very often, but it is fairly easy to thermal with buzzards. They can thermal very nicely too.

Watch those lulls, stalling kites and BUZZARDS!!!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi