FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 AM

Default F'ing thiefs

My car was broken into last night and they take two kites.

One was a 14m GK-Sonic and the other was a 10m RRD.

14m GK Sonic was Blue and Gray with my name and number on the bag.
10m RRD Type Wave was white and blue. The 5th line had been replaced with a 3m multi-colored chord.

I live in a gated community and theft around here is really low. I am removing all signs off my car that I kitesurf. I am sure I would have been less of a target if they were no stickers.

-Chris
Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 AM

I just found out that 2 other cars were broken into as well. One of the cars is the PR person for the Tampa Police Department. I am sure we will have a fast response on these thefts.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:18 AM

That f'in sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that.
wtf is with all of this?! one after another after another.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Skyway Scott

Chris.....

This is a fu$$ing nightmare. WTF is going on around here?!!!

Unreal and total bullsshitt. I hope they catch those punks a put them in jail, that simple. Why do these total LOSERS steal? And worse.. a kite? What exactly are they going to do with it... a##holes.

Sorry.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Can't Re-member

that really sucks Chris.

They should get what they deserve, chinese water torture for years
Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Skyway Scott

I edited it out.. but they should lose their hands for stealing that which is ZERO benefit to them and causes great pain/loss to another.
I get fired up when I hear this, cuz some losers stole ALL my shit when I first started and it is b.s. They benefit zero from it, is what really pisses off Chris, Bruce, Al, and every one else who has been ripped off. Its just senseless.

And the other kicker which is total BS, who are the nicest guys we got (all of us is actually the answer) and they get ripped off. Unreal.
Sorry Chris.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:56 AM

Only way they're going to get caught is if you take initiative to do so. The police really won't do much about it, even though one of the guys is affiliated to the cops.

Check ALL websites for your kites, ikite, kiteforum, ikiteboarding, etc. Check local pawn shops, local surf shops, anything that would have any reason to buy/resell kites check them out. Make sure to keep an eye out, these people more then likely aren't going to go out to the beach and try riding them, but if they do, I advise all locals to keep an eye out for said kites and report any of the above kites being flown to the authorities immediatly. Whether it's theirs or not will be disputed with the police.

Most likely, your car insurance will cover the kites being stolen, so check that out too.

If the people that stole it, didn't wear gloves and already have a record, there's a chance they left fingerprints, but don't count on it. Only way you're going to get them is if they try to resell the items too soon.

This is a Grand Theft, Trespassing, and Breaking and Entering charge, so you think it'd be taken seriously with the police... truth is, it's not.

I'm assuming your car wasn't locked Chris, neither were the others that got "broken" into. Lock your cars up, get a GOOD alarm. Not some cheap ass one that just has a blinky red light that's meant to scare people away. Make sure it has frequency detectors (for glass break intrusions). And like you said, take the kiting stickers off. I'd highly advise against keeping anything worth money in your car while you're at work or asleep. And if you do, learn to be a light sleeper and be aware of the sounds people will make when your car/house will be broken into (IE: Light footsteps through grass, shuffling feet, loud whispers, etc).

Most of the time, people aren't going to break into your car if you don't make it worthwhile. If it's unlocked, someone is DEFINENTLY going to break into your car. If it's locked, your car will only be broken into if they SEE something worth breaking a window and risking an alarm going off. Putting stuff in your trunk or the bed of your truck is a big no no. Trunks tend to have an easily defeatable lock compared to your regular car doors (not VW though, I'm assuming this is a 2002+) and truck beds if even having a lock won't be alarmed and people know this.

Even bigger deterent for break ins, put it in the garage(close it's door though, leaving it open is an even greater invitation for theft). Nobody is going to risk breaking into your garage to get to your car.

Put some motion sensor lights in front of your house, not just a few, make it lightup the WHOLE front yard and even your neighbors house. BRIGHT lights, very bright, that'll stop someone right in their tracks for the most part... especially if there's a bedroom in the front of your house. Or, leave the TV on in your front room so people think you're still awake.

There are many things you can do to stop this simple crime from happening, but none are a definite answer.

Do NOT assume because you're in a low crime area that it won't happen to you, fact is, it's MORE likely to happen to you. People that have a feeling of security are always an easier target. They'll even go buy the biggest best alarm system for their car or house and NEVER arm it.

Danny may be able to help you out with this, but I'm going to recommend this to everyone.

PIR/Active IR/motion detector that sets off the sound of either a door opening and slamming, someone saying "What're you doing!", or turns on the lights and says something/makes a loud noise.

Danny, you're an electrical engineer, this couldn't be hard to do at all... wanna help us out?

Trust me, if I was walking up to a car to break-in and the lights all turned on and I heard a door open and close I'd run like hell... someone saying "What're you doing!?" would make me just shit my pants and run...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Damn Chris that sucks. Hope you catch the low life.
I live in an area where there are quite a few break ins and thefts.
I make sure to leave nothing of value in the truck, and it’s parked within a few feet of my front door.
A sign on the door that reads “if you are found here illegally in the evening, you will be found here in the morning", works wonders to dissuade a would be thief and often the pizza delivery man.

Chris I’ve got an extra kite or 2 and a board you can use until you get a replacement.
Does your auto insurance cover stolen items? I wonder if there is a way to insure the gear for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:09 AM

I am glad I left my car unlocked last night. I would have had a broken window to repair and glass to clean up.

It appears the theifs struck around 1:30am.

I have talk to the police this morning and it appear they hit a unmarked police car too.

So much for thinking I live in a safe neighborhood. Time to start taking the proactive approach.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:26 AM

Sucks when we pay through the nose to live in what should be a secure community. Still we have to be vigilant to protect ourselves and neighbors. You guys have a community neighborhood watch out there Chris? Sometimes that keeps the would-be no good bastages out of an area. My condolences as well. See you at Cypress this afternoon probably. There are still a lot of good guys still out there...just look at the replies to your post.

Keep the faith bro'.