FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Events
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Default Down Wind Rules...

After following the poll and discussion on the other thread, I'm wondering what the organizers think about running along on the outside of the buoys? It is important to note that there is a huge advantage of running on the inside compared to the outside. I remember the Jupiter DW a few years back when the top few rode on the inside most of the way and the rule was not enforced. If you make the rule, enforce it. This is the responsibility of riders as well as organizers. I'd suggest that they are actually marks of the course and missing 1 would constitute riding the wrong course. I think you would need to make some provisions for the finish of course.

Question: are there buoys all of the way down the coast? i think that you have to be very careful to insure that the rule is not subjective because everyone will view it differently. If there are not buoys then the inside is ok, if there are, the stay out.

In general I think that using the marks would work, but you will have problems in onshore conditions like we almost had. Some riders will not be able to stay out and would be hesitant to tack to stay out. This needs to be addressed.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM

kent
the race officials have proven to be inept in running a legitimate race.
if i were you, i'd turn my interest and effort into saving what few spots you have left down your way. I see that hobie beach has now made that infamous list of banned south florida riding spots. Guess how many spots are banned up here. Maybe a little less promoting and a little more self policing. a word of caution though...be prepared to get a good flogging when you do make a REAL effort.
it'll prolly take some cavemanish communicating.
after seeing the guy that got you banned, (allegedly), on video this is your way to stop it?
"As for Mikey, he's a good guy, but should know better. I hope he'll respect our riding area a bit more in the future."-kent
you keep on hoping dude.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Compared to whom? I think the organizers, doing all this for free, have done a good job. People doing volunteer work can always use constructive help. Pitch in next time to make it even better. In the meantime, I say thanks for trying to do something for the kiting community and for a worthy charity.

The first ban in the state was in your neck of the woods in 2001. Hope you can reverse it too in time. Well done in keeping things flying at Desoto all these years. A big part of the problem in Miami-Dade is a large population, 2,387,170 vs. 910,000 in Pinellas County and very few launches in Miami. Throw in tremendous tourist loading of limited beaches, some poor riding behavior and there you are, problems.

You are a 1000% spot on regarding self-policing though, we really need to get serious about that. Not just one or two guys either, but a bunch. It is a lot harder to ignore peer pressure from a lot of guys.

Kent has done and continues to do a great deal for this sport in Florida and well beyond. Been watching and joining in at times with him for over a decade. Access, events, charity fundraisers, trade shows, demos, figuring out safety issues, new competitions, and on and on. Can always do with more effective leaders, jump on in.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-17-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 PM

rick,,,
i dis-agree
.....more later.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 PM

The race is for a noble cause and I hope kiters can do many more just like it in the future. We do need to weigh the risk vs. reward for Gulf runs though, we're buzzing the most populated section of the West Coast. Another suggestion is to make sure we have permission from every municipality we cross, so we can ride stress-free.....like it should be.
We don't have these issues in the Bay, just need lotsa stinky boats, and have a smaller window of opportunity to do the full run.
Something not yet mentioned, is Bryan has been one of a handful of kiters to help shape a 501c3 charitable org. from the ground up, as well as figure out how to make it all work, keep it rolling through the non-windy months, and most of all, keep it fun. Through the hard work and support of "dudez" like Bryan, we now have access to tools that we can ALL use.
We have found the proper framework for kiters, associations, and industry to work together to bring more funding to the sport, create more events, and preserve/ increase access. I am fairly certain both industry and kiters will find it suitable and respectable.

If we can agree to work together and all bring our resources to the table, we can fix these ongoing problems, many of them not too difficult.
Are we there yet?

Last edited by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay; 03-18-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 AM

One more thing- The responses I have gotten has always been positive regarding these efforts, and this past weekend reaffirmed that with some of the conversations that went on at the race. The support of the kiters is there, we just need plug in our resources. Given the situation, it doesn't get any easier than this.
I suggest to the leaders that we start adding an hour brainstorm session to these event weekends to share ideas, try to revive the WBF, and work together to change the way things are going. I would gladly host one here if you guys get back up this way, and make a conscious effort to attend the other Florida events for these meetings.
We all have some great things to bring to the table, each piece just as important as the next.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Default Let's make it happen

It's as simple as making it happen and being constructive. There have been some very good points brought up in this thread. I think that sometimes it takes a little bit for peoples nerves to calm down and finally some headway is actually made.

This discussion is good, but we need action and some 'rules' in writing. Beach season is upon us with the first day of spring this Saturday. Let's be proactive and get some things finalized on some sort of 'master list' (riding inside buoys, close to beaches, ect....) so we can start to self police ourselves and completely avoid even coming close to a ban ANYWHERE!

I have kited in many places around the state and elsewhere. Tampa Bay has some of the most beautiful beaches, butter flats, and decent wave sections (let's not kid ourselves with our ankle snappers ) of any city around. Not too many places you can drive your car right up to and get some of the launches we have! I have kited this area for 4 years and there are guys who have been here long before me. With our local kiting population growing rapidly every season, it is more important than ever to get this nailed down. I think we do a decent job keeping it clean, but let's be even more proactive to preserve our great riding areas.

It has happened on the other coast, but it won't happen here. If we grab this thing by the balls, hold one side of the bar, and F-16 this F*%$ING thing we can get it done! Ok, getting a little carried away, but you get the point.

Feel free to elaborate and throw some concrete ideas around.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM

503c what? What does that have to do with this race. Yawn.

Well, I looked at the rules for the race:

Quote:
2) Riders must obey and observe designated swim zone areas. Anyone caught riding in a swim zone will be disqualified and asked to leave the event.
Doesn't this cover the buoys?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM

If you look at the 72 hr. notice, you will see that Chris updated the course to include staying on the outside of all buoys. So... I'm wondering what possible issues there are to fight about and degrade the great job and effort that the organizers have put into this now?

I'm not sure of the politics up there, but it seems obvious from the start that this probably had less to do with where people ride, but what they ride and who they ride for / with. "Precious demos", etc. comes to mind. Where did that come from?

It seems to me that although poorly presented, Bryan brought up a valid point that most riders agreed with. The organizers have respected the kite community’s wish and have amended the rules to comply. It's a great event that is loaded with tons of riders that are supporting a good thing. It can't be all bad. This is how a forum is supposed to work. Thanks Rick.

See you on the weekend if it goes.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
It seems to me that although poorly presented, Bryan brought up a valid point that most riders agreed with.
exactly