FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > GEAR & SERVICES!!! > KITING GEAR!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
damion_dark

Default Which bar should I keep??? (img)

OR

Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM

What do you plan to use them for?
Top one is @ 2002 SS and needs front and back leader lines.
The bottom bar is @ 2004-05 Best pulley bar. (no sheetability)
Both bars are for C-kites. NOT BOW OR SLE KITES!!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The first bar needs a lot more than that Noel. The primary QR uses a side release snap shackle. I will always remember the mental image of a guy furiously pulling to release one of those perhaps on the same bar years back.

He was in a squall spun off from a typhoon. Guys watched him picked up and blown 150 ft. horizontally through the air slamming into a concrete seawall, DOA. Others have been harmed as well using side release shackles in kiting applications. He tried to open it but they jam if under too great a load or won't release unless you pull in a certain direction. They were never designed to be released under load. We've been trying to tell folks not to use these damn things in kiting applications for almost nine years. I can't believe they keep cropping up despite all the publicity.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 AM

But your not saying anything about the Best pin type release? It doesn't need a new release to use but does need leader lines. I've seen other newer releases that don't release well either. I say don't use either bar unless you have C-kites. I started in '99. No releases. Still here. Most people I have seen that need to pull a release, don't even go for the release. No muscle memory. Doesn't matter what you got if you don't know how and when to use it.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
damion_dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
What do you plan to use them for?
Top one is @ 2002 SS and needs front and back leader lines.
The bottom bar is @ 2004-05 Best pulley bar. (no sheetability)
Both bars are for C-kites. NOT BOW OR SLE KITES!!
Ohh ok thanks. I didn't know what brand or year they were. I plan to use the 2002 SS bar for a 12M C kite because I have sheetability and can depower easier. Yeah I want to buy new leader lines for it but I have been searching online but I can't find any place that sells them?

Is it possible to take the power/depower strap from the Best bar and set it up on the SS bar??? I would rather have the strap than the clam cleat because it seems more secure, easier to use, and appears to be the defacto standard. Is it possible to put a new chicken loop on there as well? Like basically I know how to assemble most of the bar but the thing that gets me is how to attach a depower strap and metal rings. Basically, I figure that when the depower strap is attached to the chicken line (as in when it is being produced in a factory when first made), like its basically sewn with like an industrial sowing machine or something like that. Know any industrial sewing machine places in south florida? lol. I may sound confusing but if you need clarification I can put up pictures to help explain what I am talking about.

Last edited by damion_dark; 03-22-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM
damion_dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
The first bar needs a lot more than that Noel. The primary QR uses a side release snap shackle. I will always remember the mental image of a guy furiously pulling to release one of those perhaps on the same bar years back.

He was in a squall spun off from a typhoon. Guys watched him picked up and blown 150 ft. horizontally through the air slamming into a concrete seawall, DOA. Others have been harmed as well using side release shackles in kiting applications. He tried to open it but they jam if under too great a load or won't release unless you pull in a certain direction. They were never designed to be released under load. We've been trying to tell folks not to use these damn things in kiting applications for almost nine years. I can't believe they keep cropping up despite all the publicity.
I definitely don't plan on going out in a typhoon squall anytime soon. Believe me. You watched that in person though?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM
damion_dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
But your not saying anything about the Best pin type release? It doesn't need a new release to use but does need leader lines. I've seen other newer releases that don't release well either. I say don't use either bar unless you have C-kites. I started in '99. No releases. Still here. Most people I have seen that need to pull a release, don't even go for the release. No muscle memory. Doesn't matter what you got if you don't know how and when to use it.
I have played around with the quick release. I attatched the lines to a structure and leaned back hard pretending I was out on the water and instantly playing out a kitemare scenario in my head. After I ran through it though I realized more concretely about the safety it gave me as my butt hit the ground. Yeah I want to buy a new set of leaders. Yeah I have C kites. However, I though these bars could also be used for a bow kite? Or is there some differentiating feature of other bars that make them bow kite specific?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion_dark View Post
Ohh ok thanks. I didn't know what brand or year they were. I plan to use the 2002 SS bar for a 12M C kite because I have sheetability and can depower easier. Yeah I want to buy new leader lines for it but I have been searching online but I can't find any place that sells them?

Is it possible to take the power/depower strap from the Best bar and set it up on the SS bar??? I would rather have the strap than the clam cleat because it seems more secure, easier to use, and appears to be the defacto standard. Is it possible to put a new chicken loop on there as well? Like basically I know how to assemble most of the bar but the thing that gets me is how to attach a depower strap and metal rings. Basically, I figure that when the depower strap is attached to the chicken line (as in when it is being produced in a factory when first made), like its basically sewn with like an industrial sowing machine or something like that. Know any industrial sewing machine places in south florida? lol. I may sound confusing but if you need clarification I can put up pictures to help explain what I am talking about.

Not sure what you mean by defacto. Many companies still use the clam cleat including Slingshot, Naish, GK, North, etc... You only adjust it once or twice. In order to use a strap, you would be better off replacing the depower line and C-loop as well. You can attach the depower strap to the metal ring by tying a bowline knot only. (won't slip) Make sure the throw on the bar isn't any shorter than it is already. No sewing machine necessary. Look up the knot on-line if your not sure. Give a call to Otherside Boardsports and we can see if we can find you some leaders. I do however agree with Ricki and think you should think about replacing the whole depower system and replacing it with an updated release.

oTHErside Boardsports
(305)853-9728
Florida Keys
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You are right Noel, way too many people don't bother to anticipate trouble or even do the least thing to try to prepare for avoid it. It is all about driving the golf cart, our sport can be way too easy until it isn't. I started in 1998 and almost didn't stay here. I can recall furiously trying to unhook in 2000 before quick releases came about, flying at high speed towards a house. I couldn't budge the loop off the harness hook. For the next four or so years, many of the quick releases introduced were unreliable including the early pin releases. This side release shackle should have been pulled from the market long ago. I was one of the lucky ones, there have been dozens of other riders far less fortunate. I wouldn't use either bar either as I passed along via PM, just bite the bullet and get an more up to date kite and bar system.

If you get caught out in a tropical system squall it is potentially the SAME thing that took that kiter out in Okinawa all those years ago. We have those squalls commonly during tropical weather season and plenty powerful too.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-24-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion_dark View Post
I have played around with the quick release. I attatched the lines to a structure and leaned back hard pretending I was out on the water and instantly playing out a kitemare scenario in my head. After I ran through it though I realized more concretely about the safety it gave me as my butt hit the ground. Yeah I want to buy a new set of leaders. Yeah I have C kites. However, I though these bars could also be used for a bow kite? Or is there some differentiating feature of other bars that make them bow kite specific?
The difference between the C-kite bar and SLE (bow) bar are the amount of throw or depower on the bar. You can use an SLE bar on a C-kite but not a C-kite bar on an SLE.