Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Storms and Squalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post

A big, long jump in stormy conditions. The kind of European squalls that have killed and maimed more than a few riders. They've had some right here in Holland too. See that one windsurfer do an emergency jibe to stay out of the lines? He blew that jump with lines stretched out in front of a bunch of sailers. What's wrong with being a jump hero and responsible?

"We had a wonderfull day on the 3rd of september 2009 in Holland. Winds exceeding over more than 44 knots. Conditions: Sun, rain and thunder, and mostly Storm, storm, STORM!
It was a perfect day with me and Ruben Len10 doing a Stormsjees 3 tour along the coast, which started out of the blue. First spot was Wijk aan Zee for a real hard trashing on Ruben, then off to Scheveningen to do some more. Also there was Eddy Lansink doing his thing to, and very well indeed! "

Here's another clip showing one way to approximate jump height. Still no mention of risk to the other guys on the water posed by the jump.

64 ft., good height. I suspect there have been higher jumps but a big one all the same and with a happy ending but not for lack of trying.

Reposted from: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6089&page=34

Just a discussion point from my observation. What i see is a hell of alot of downwind space (at least several hundred yards if not more) before the windsurfers. The windsurfer doing the "emergency jibe" was coming back in at a high rate of speed and probably wasnt even seen as a threat when the jump was made.

The second jump appeard to be a "holy sh!t" jump to get out of the way of the group of windsurfers and what he did probably avoided a major mix up. That second jump was also intitiated well upwind of those windsurfers. Also, on his second jump the kite got behind him and it looked like it wasn going to recover from a stall with a hard jerk and he intentionaly went to the 5th to depower the kite. We are talking eye opener record setting distances and height here so were traditonal precautions observed?

Dedinitely risky conditions but I didnt hear you call out the windsurfers either. Everybody there that day was taking a major risk.

Last edited by ricki; 06-16-2010 at 07:23 AM.