FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Video - Shark Attacks Scuba Diver On Keys Wreck

Or more accurately, attacks her regulator hose. This was caught on video cameras carried by both the woman diver and her husband within the wreck of the Spiegel Grove in 140 ft. of water off Key Largo, FL. Both were rigged as technical divers with swing bottles and despite what could have happened, carried the day and safely ascended.

The Spiegel Grove when still in service
http://www.wikipedia.org

Both divers had GoPro cameras with the wife's above her mask and the husband's on a monopod. Each camera captured a different perspective of this incident. I have captured still images from the video link provided below. They were within a confined space near the main deck I presume.

Here comes trouble, literally by the asterix. I am not that familiar with the occurrence of sharks within wrecks in the Florida Keys. All the times I have seen them, a fairly common sight too, they have been outside the wrecks. How common is it to see them in the interior spaces?

The tiburon turns abeam before pivoting in and accelerating.

The sharks left pectoral fin just before cutting through her regulator hose. I had to run through the clip several times to capture this particular image. The shark really accelerated before attacking the hose.

The husband intercedes turning off the wife's gas supply to avoid having the lot bleed out.

The shark glides by the image field for a parting shot.

Here is the video clip prepared from the two GoPros, processed for a TV program. Apologies for the silly, somewhat sensationalized audio commentary, the video has been edited for clarity aiding following the incident.

"The diver's air tube was bitten by the shark RTM - Right This Minute
Published on May 4, 2013
This scuba diver off the coast of Key Largo, Florida, had an extremely close call with a shark. While exploring a shipwreck, the diver's air tube was bitten by the underwater predator. The punctured hose was leaking air fast but thankfully his diving buddy acted quickly."

The original video prepared by the actual diver team without the added drama to what was already a pretty dramatic event, no embellishment needed can be seen at

The following caption was beneath the woman divers youtube post of the incident.

"Diving a wreck in Key Largo, Florida and a shark bit my air hose.
I was with my husband, we dove in the speigle grove wreck, key largo in florida. Suddenly a shark (came out of no where ) bit my air pressure hose. I lost my air. I asked my husband to share his air while i tried closing my valve. That was freaky but I'm still alive. It was a close call !"

The following is a fuzzy vintage GoPro video from August 2009 ago shot with the old WIDE camera with no corrective housing optics. I scooter free dove portions of the wreck so it provides a feeling for the layout of the exterior.

So, what impressions do you have about all of this? Have you heard of precedents for this sort of behavior?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-08-2013 at 06:59 AM.