FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 PM

Default Saturday 30th

Anyone heading out to Smathers tomorrow?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:33 AM

Default saturday 30th

A few of us will be down there, the winds are supposed to be good, but be careful, lots of squalls expected, yesterday we were on the beach when a small squall came through, it went from calm winds and clear skies to 25mph and almost zero visibilty in about 3 to 5 minutes, about an hour before this I refused to launch a friend who wanted to try and go out with a thundercloud right behind us, he was a bit pissed of at me, but after that squall came through, I think he relaxed a bit, this same friend of mine also almost had a bad accident kiting in the storm conditions last week, but luckily, was saved by another kiter who ended up getting a little hurt for his effort.The sad thing is my friend can not see the ignorance of his ways, not only does he have no clue re. how storms can effect the wind, but he is one of the guys that almost always puts his kite over the powerlines while walking on the beach. The really scary part is that he did lessons , has been kiting for about 5 years, is a pretty good rider, but is so ignorant of the basic safety issues.

Be safe

Greg
Old 08-30-2008, 10:27 AM

Well i took a look this morning and the weather seems a little dark... if it clears up and anyone wants to head out feel free to call me

Thanks!

Pedro

Last edited by platypus; 11-23-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Pedro,

You've got a lot more to look at than just what shows up to the naked eye. It's there, why not use it?

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6733

I would take a good look at the NWS higher res. radar. Doesn't look encouraging to me right now. The Keys are being hit with outflow bands from Hurricane Gustav just to the south. If there are large enough holes it might work, looking at things from way up here it looks iffy, perhaps even less encouraging, even for well experienced kiters.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Greg just sent these photos up from Smathers taken yesterday, Friday. Looks like a popup squall. I'll let Greg fill in the details (what time were these taken?).Thanks Rick. These were taken around 4.30 pm,Elvis is the guy with yhe sunglasses and Mike is the other guy,you can see the rain and wind coming down the road and in the other photo you can see how bad the visibility got.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by greg meintjes; 08-30-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Smathers pics.

Good photo of Elvis. And I always liked the trash can message. Is the message possible??? But that's another thread, on another forum!!!

Frank