FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderderdale RACE!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Gentlemen... Start your engines!

In tribute to NASCAR, Garry, Todd, and Kent went to test race boards on the morning of Tuesday, November 20th.

Kite racing is likely the fastest growing segment of kitesurfing today. There are many different types of races for kites. Early on, long distance races that were generally run going very broad off the wind and boarder cross were the most popular. Both of these disciplines can be very challenging. The distance races, some in excess of 60 miles, can be a true test of endurance for some, and a very competitive race for others. Lately the fastest racers have primarily switched to directional style boards due to their range and ease of riding over the long haul. Boarder cross in contrast is generally run on twin tips due to the tight turning requirements. These races are very tight and often include kite tangles. As Boarder Cross evolves, we will start to see timed sequence starts and blasting speed generally run on reaches. This is very similar to Windsurf Slalom racing.

The newest and potentially most appealing part of racing has recently started to emerge. Cabrinha and Adventure Sports Miami have sponsored the first 2 seasons of the Cabrinha Kite Race Series hosted by the St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco. The STFYC recently completed the first ever kite racing national championships. The members and directors of the STFYC presented Kite Racing along with the new “official” rules to the governing body of sailing in the US, US Sailing. US Sailing recently sanctioned Kite Racing as an official sailing class in the US. The club then presented the kite class to ISAF which is the international governing body of sailing. If ISAF sanctions the kite fleet, this would be the first step toward kite racing becoming an Olympic Sport under sailing.

For those that haven’t really had the chance to race up wind and down wind on a kite, this will be an uncomfortable feeling. Additionally, using a twin tip IS NOT REMOTELY COMPETITIVE… so therefore use a directional board. In some cases even a standard 5’8 – 6’1 surf board will suffice, but.........

want more info on racing? want to see a cool flix if Nationals kite racing... go to:

http://www.adventuresportsmiami.com/...d=20&Itemid=30
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM

Old Man Kent, you just switched from windsurfing so you don't get your ass kicked by the other older man.... namely me. I will still hunt you down and beat you in your sleep; that is if you are not sleep walking. Lets get some training in as we don't want to let the left coast boys get too ahead of the game!
Old 11-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

So that explains why I hung on to directionals two years longer than most everyone else before going to twin tips. Now you want me to change back? Well, still have five to choose from, bounce like hell though. Wonder how I ever go so used to that? Never used to bother me.

Do you find directionals help to avoid wipeouts on high speed downwind runs more than on twin tips?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM

A well designed and tuned directional does not bounce out, but it will probably take a custom built board to get it right.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 PM

Directionals jump insane as well...and toe side turns have serious holding power. If your board is well designed and tuned, you can spend a 3 hour session and never switch stance, because the toe side riding is so locked in. Especially if the surf is good and your doing all the jumping on a north wind (for example) riding heel side and the just crank some nice turns to toe side when riding the waves.

These are not your mothers old directionals they are generally smaller something like 5'3"or smaller and narrower with surf boar trifins or quads just on the tail for maximum grip and control.The racing directionals are relatively flat like a windsurfing slalom board as a flatter rocker makes for good control at speed if all the other factors banance out.

Back straps are quite far back usually. My racing directional is 4"11" by 16 wide and single concave with a relatively straight outline; tri fins. Witt back strap 9 inches from the tail. Front strap is centered as well.

This board is notably faster than a twin tip in every direction except an overpowered reach in super choppy water. Upwind and down wind it will smoke most twin tips easily. I am normally faster toe side than most people on a heelside riding twin tip. So these newer directionals are pretty sweet.