FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Naples Pier To Pier Race !!!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

In the typical stronger NE winds Neil ran this in it was interesting to see how conditions changed as you moved south. From the start to South Lake Worth Inlet, there could be some large intense seas. I remember riding through flocks of feeding seagulls and bait kicking up, i.e. shark territory north of that first inlet once. The coast is curved there too effecting your point of sailing. Sometimes the wind would shift more easterly from north helping things out a bit. As you head further south with each passing inlet, the seas would drop somewhat and the ease of running would improve. I think this is related to widening shelf and reef development particularly south of Hillsboro Inlet. Sometimes the seas would really spike up though just north of inlets. Once you pass Hillsboro Inlet, it really does feel like you are running downhill. One time I recall the seas didn't ease all that much even off Broward County. It was fun to run through the swells breaking over the second reef on down to Ft. Lauderdale. It really is a great race. Worth training to ride in it. Kent has done enough of this sort of thing, directionals must be the way to go, particularly off the wind somewhat.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM

although i'm sure directional boards are the way to go, twins have won most of the east coast events. hopefully that will change! in truth, i'm sure directional is the way to go, it just happens that they guys that have won were very good in any case and probably won on strength and skill. I'd bet however that their margin of victory might have increased on a directional. just a guess.

Last edited by kent; 10-30-2009 at 07:15 AM.