FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Some input from a beginner

I feel inadequate chiming in with all of you seasoned instructors and riders because I am a beginner....but, in reality, it is the new riders anxious to utilize their investment that cause most of the problems. Lucky for me, MKB not only taught me how great the sport can be, they taught and warned about the dangers. As I have become brave enough to even launch without an instructor, I find myself looking for resources that tell me which wind direction is right at each location; which location should be avoided in certain wind directions; and all of the "safe" locations and certified schools in the area. Obviously, we can check the actual wind on the normal sites, but for a newby, directions mean nothing if you are unfamiliar with the actual ins-and-outs of the desired location. So, if I may ask, is it possible to put together some type of flyer or brochure that provides this valuable information to all levels of kiters? We could all be ambassador's of the sport by insuring that people we meet on our beaches or those planning to visit, understand the optimal conditions and dangers of the locations.

Also, just to mention, I was at Hobbie one day and was approached by a guy selling IKO certification cards completely filled out. At the time, I was still to new to understand what he was offering, but I thought you guys might want to know this. Obviously, I declined his $20 offer, but I am sure many have accepted.

Kind regards, Donna
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I would be happy to help out as moderator for tonight's meeting of area kiteboarding businesses. Not looking to vilify anyone but hopefully achieve some solid progress towards improving kiting practices and access. To that end I agree with Kent's ideas for a loose structure for tonight.

It would be good for one representative from each business to have three minutes to present general concerns and comments at the start of the meeting. Everyone should have fair opportunity to voice some constructive concerns and comments in this way. General discussion would follow. The goal is to build some consensus and workable solutions and not to have things get shredded in open ended argument. We can easily achieve the later but what we need for the long term of this sport is the former. Kiting in big surf and high wind takes a lot more than brute force and raw emotion. It takes care, thought and skilled execution to pull it off. That sort of care and tact is what would serve us well tonight.

I think Kent's agenda items cover things well for a first go round. Advanced input on other critical items for this first meeting? It would be good to have some prepared comments in mind before we get together. We won't get everything sorted out in one meeting but hopefully it will be a productive first step.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Its been silent too long in this post! Does this mean that all participants of the meeting yesterday have been hospitalized?

I'm sure that we are all awaiting the results of the meeting!

Jur - just a kiter in all Miami locations
Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The meeting was well attended with the majority of invited businesses present. I think it went well on the whole and was a worthwhile thing. A lot of ideas and views were expressed with general agreement on many points and some disagreement on others. I believe it was a productive lively discussion among leaders in the Miami-Dade kiting community.

It was generally agreed that more organization was needed to preserve access and improve kiteboarding in our area. Various ideas were discussed for launch areas remaining in Miami-Dade County including approach to instruction and riding practices in general. I hope a lot will grow out of this first meeting to benefit our sport. It is definitely a work in progress.

Two things were resolved among many points including the formation of a kiteboarding business group such as Paul Menta has described in a separate post. The forum should be up today. Secondly to work to expand the level of active community involvement and in turn the effectiveness of the FKA in representing the interest of the sport and participants at large. This was the primary reason the FKA was formed seven years ago. Involvement was fragmentary as was the ultimate effectiveness in some ways over that time. We are losing too much access through poor kiting behaviors. We need to turn a corner on this and soon before we sacrifice more areas.

Lots more to come on this.

Special thanks to all who attended, a complete listing of which will be uploaded here once I receive it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Yep, it was a very good meeting. Thanks to all that attended. I'm still trascribing my notes and will forward them to Rick as early as tonight.

Kent