FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Matheson Kite Access

Hey,

The main east anything kite spot here is on the north side of the parking lot north of the kiddy pool.

Does anyone know if they allow you to launch and ride at the far south end of the park where there is a large shallow water beach area at the dead end loop?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM

Default Matheson South area.

Hi troubleshooter,

the park manager in Matheson doesn't really like kiters in this area due to the fact that there are 2 (two) boat channels just North of this area and his idea is that we also stay away from any boat channel obstruction. Just like we must do with flying our kites near the kid pool area.

If your kite were to fall in the water in this area you can get yourself in trouble if a boat is coming and doesn't see you. Also, there are much more sting rays and wild life animales in this area as well as more sea weed to tangle your lines. Not to mention the tremendous amount of red ants in the grass area.

Hope this information is useful and that all goes well in your next session!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks Big Kite,

I still get a maybe vibe out of that answer. Is it allowed or not allowed? Anything north would keep kiters out of the boat channels.

And yes. I was born and raised in Miami, the ant piles stink there. I used to windsurf on that beach all the time. Never realy noticed anymore wild life at that spot compared to the parking lot beach though.

Thanks again
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I think what BK was trying to say is that it isn't encouraged. I've been getting reports of boater/marina/sailing school complaints and heat being applied to the park management for years about kiters obstructing the boat channels there. I would think if a few kiters would stay away from the channels and not interfere with traffic in the narrow channels there wouldn't be a problem. The boats have little to no maneuvering room in those tight channels and if they are worried about tangling kite lines or hitting a kiter you can see the problem. If guys do long tacks out and stay away from the channels it might be ok, if guys bother to do it. What do you think BigKite?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM

I suggest to stay where it's marked with buoys and a detailed map of the Launch area on the North side. The South spot is not a kiter friendly area. Park officials don't want anybody kiting there because of the boat channels. It's not prohibited to ride there, but if something were to happen, the heat will go on to the rider as an individual and may cause access problems for all kite surfers on behalf of the park officials.

All the best,