FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Default Kiteboarding Instruction, the good, the bad, the ugly; where to go from here.

CHRISTOPHE/KENT/RICK/STEVE-O

exhibit A) does IKO or PASA >>>>require<<<< their instructors to use chase vehicles when students are learning waterstarts/bodydrags?

exhibit B) does IKO or PASA >>>>require<<<< their instructors to demonstrate they can swim to a certain level of proficiency?

exhibit C) do IKO or PASA have limits on how many instructors they each pump out per season? are there limits to how many riders that their instructors are allowed to pump out per season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Kiteboarding Instruction, the good, the bad, the ugly; where to go from here.

Decided to launch a thread with this question in mind.

Not all kiteboarding instructors are equal, some are outstanding, some are mediocre and some not that good at all. There is a great deal more to sustainable kiting than basic operation of kite gear, "learning to drive the golf cart." The burden of equalizing the caliber and quality of kiteboarding instructors both during and following training logically should fall upon the certifying organizations. The zeal and effectiveness of both IKO and PASA in doing this has been limited in recent times.

We still need certification, have no doubt about that for many reasons. What we need is better training and certification as well as quality control of both instructors and students in school and beyond. It isn't all one way either. Instructors should be able to command reasonable rates for good instruction vs. mediocre, indifferent instruction. They shouldn't be forced to try to compete with poor, uninsured instructors with or without certification. Quality instruction in these times of threatened access, diminishing launches is essential, finding it can be challenging in some cases. Things shouldn't be this way, going back to the training organizations. Consumers have a role and sadly some responsibility in this as well. We get what we settle for. Want more, then only pay for superior instruction, ask questions, be careful in choosing a school.

We can turn this into a wailing wall of sorts, for complaining alone or we can try to do something constructive. Complaints are important to a point for identifying problems and areas for improvement. Staying in complaining mode will likely leave you right where you start. So, what are the problems and what are some ideas for solutions? Money is a factor in all of this, what goes out first and what is likely to come in. Still, we need to do better and I believe we can if we try in a more effective way with better oversight.

What do you think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-02-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Bayflight, I think the answers to all your questions is no. If I am wrong in this please let me know, anyone. What should the answers be and how do you propose that we present this to IKO and PASA and compel them to enforce it?

I agree 100% that reform in kiting instruction is needed. Course content is a big concern for me as well.

There are the prerequisites listed on http://www.ikointl.com/iko.php?page=...nt_menu_area=2

"Prerequisites

Candidates to an ITC Level 1 must:
Be at least 18 years old
Kiteboarding/Snowkiting for at least 1 year and be a certified IKO kiteboarder/snowkiter level 3 minimum
Have an IKO Assistant Instructor certification (Water only) or provide a letter of recommendation from a teaching experience in a water or aerial sport
Have a valid first aid and CPR certificate or complete it before the ITC with the IKO Examiner running the course
Pass online Pre-ITC course
Kiteboarding only: complete the IKO powerboat certification course or have an outside powerboat certification
Must be able to read and write"

Swimming proficiency for both students and instructors seems a logical requirement. They do require powerboat certification, why? Is there an intent to require support boats in instruction? Thinking of other action sports, diving, paragliding, hang gliding, don't recall any caps on quantities on instructors or students. Again, how would you propose this to the training agencies and compel them to enforce it?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 PM

What should the answers be and how do you propose that we present this to IKO and PASA and compel them to enforce it?

I agree 100% that reform in kiting instruction is needed. Course content is a big concern for me as well.

rick,
honestly a better cert org is the only way.
the fact that they both leave out such important requirements (swimming proficiency / chase vehicle) should not be excused.
the fact that a huge majority of kiteboarding schools (few exceptions i.e. real/kite house) drink that nasty cool aid truly bothers me.
so i feel no urge to lobby these orgs.
locally run non profit cert org's would be the best way. imo
peace